Create control progmmatically to "future proof" program

dblk22vball

I am trying to create a program that will allow the company to interface with some test fixtures. Obviously, sometime in the future there could be more (or less) test fixtures than there are currently.

I was wanting to be able to add/remove controls as needed (see attached pic for control).

The basic information I need for the fixture is the name and the ip address, but I would like the user to be able to update all or only certain fixtures if so desired, hence the checkbox.

Would this require some vi scripting to do or is not possible either way.

Sorry if this is mentioned somewhere else, I was unable to find it.

QUOTE (dblk22vball @ Feb 19 2009, 08:44 AM)

i had the array/cluster idea too, but wasnt sure if there was another way.

If you use an array of clusters, hide the index element (which hardly any non-labview programmer can understand) and show the vertical scrollbar. It's still confusing for people to use the concept of right-clicking on the border of cluster to delete it.

If it were me, I would implement a listbox with 1 element selected, and then you could edit the IP address of the selected listbox item in a separate control, and you could have a delete button, and you can show the checkmark symbols to show which ones are enabled. You have to code up all the handling yourself, but it should only take a half day or so.

QUOTE (jdunham @ Feb 19 2009, 11:17 AM)

If it were me, I would implement a listbox with 1 element selected, and then you could edit the IP address of the selected listbox item in a separate control, and you could have a delete button, and you can show the checkmark symbols to show which ones are enabled. You have to code up all the handling yourself, but it should only take a half day or so.

This was my thought as well. By doing this method you could read the list of fixtures from a file or a database and populate the list box with the appropriate data. You could also have different connection types for your fixtures if needed. Internally you have an array of clusters with all the necessary data. You could then pass the individual cluster of the desired fixture to whatever needs it.