I haven't seen this before

QUOTE (Justin Goeres @ Feb 20 2009, 09:25 AM)

My recollection is that it means the default value of that control is of a class other than the class type of the control. E.g. your control is of type Multimeter.lvclass but the actual default value of the front panel terminal is of something like Keithley.lvclass, which is a child of Multimeter.lvclass.

Odd, especially since that class inherits directly from Labview Object and has no children. I dropped another class cube from my Project onto the FP and it looked normal. Labview crashed when I probed the wire and tried to run the vi. I guess it meant Labview was confused. :laugh: When I restarted Labview all was back to normal...

(In fairness, previously I had been mucking around with the inheritance of many classes in my project.)

Clarification: It means that the default value of the control is not the same as the default value of the class. It may be an instance of a child class, as Justin suggested, but it can just as easily be a non-default value of the class itself -- so if your private data cluster contains a numeric whose default value is 5, this control may have the numeric with a default value of 6.

QUOTE (Aristos Queue @ Feb 20 2009, 11:20 AM)

...so if your private data cluster contains a numeric whose default value is 5, this control may have the numeric with a default value of 6.

Since you can't set class values on the front panel like you can with most controls, how would change the default value of a class control? I tried changing the default values of the class but as expected all the front panel controls were updated to the new default value.

QUOTE (Aristos Queue @ Feb 20 2009, 02:43 PM)

if you've never seen the black background before and this is your first explanation of it, you may be thinking, "That's farily obscure... how was I supposed to know what that means?

Actually I was thinking, "I hope this isn't a totally stupid question that everybody except me knows about."

We were hard pressed for a good way to document when a control was set to a non-default default value, but we did think it was important to indicate in some way.

Agreed, although using non-default values on a control that has hidden values seems to violate much of what Labview programming is about. I'm still trying to think of a valid use case for this particular trick.

I still think there should be an option to show the class data rather than the object icon, at the very least on private VIs, and maybe on all VIs which are members of the class. The ability to test VIs by setting the front panel values is so useful in LabVIEW and its so glaringly absent from the LVOOP world.