coding challenge ideas

jcarmody

QUOTE (jcarmody @ Feb 24 2009, 04:07 PM)

One think which has interested me for quite a while would be the old "Travelling Salesman" problem.

Easy to understand, simple operations, extremely hard to optimise.....

More on the topic HERE.

Shane.

PS Possible (n-1)!/2 solutions so....

5 cities = 12 solutions

10 cities = 181 440 solutions

15 cities = 43 589 145 600 solutions (Ouch!)

20 cities = 60 822 550 204 416 000 solutions (more Ouch!)

Something that could be usefull is reverse engineering of state machines. The coding challenge would be to design a state machine framework that also displays the state diagram (in normal state diagram form). This is maybe a bit backward, I guess the other way around would be more intuitive, but the end result would be a nice diagram that also would be useful in debugging as well as documentation. There are probably many different ways of doing this.

QUOTE (bsvingen @ Feb 26 2009, 06:16 AM)

Something that could be usefull is reverse engineering of state machines. The coding challenge would be to design a state machine framework that also displays the state diagram (in normal state diagram form).

It'd need to have a parsing routing that was modular and easy to change, since a lot of us use different state machine transports (string, enum, queue, custom ecapsulated...)

QUOTE (crelf @ Feb 26 2009, 02:17 PM)

It'd need to have a parsing routing that was modular and easy to change, since a lot of us use different state machine transports (string, enum, queue, custom ecapsulated...)

That would be a major problem. Didn't AQ make a LVOOP version of a state diagram some years back? or was it action object? I was thinking more in those terms. It is certainly doable. In HyVisual (Ptolemy II), state diagrams (including every little piece of parameter) are saved directly as XML and of course read again from XML. We don't have to do all that, just the main logic structure.

QUOTE (Michael Aivaliotis @ Feb 26 2009, 11:37 AM)

I think a coding challenge involving LVOOP would be nice to see. Also, how about having an NI Forums vs. LAVA Forums competition?

Good idea! LVOOP has not been covered in any previous challenge. So what type of "bunch of similar stuff but different" challenge could we use? How about "Bug wars" where two ant hills with workers and warrior ants do battle.

So which side do the cross-posters contribute too?