Find VI used in other VI's

QUOTE (Bjarne Joergensen @ Feb 26 2009, 04:34 AM)

Is there a way to find VIs where a specific VI is used, whithout loading all the VIs I might assume that call the specific VI?

You mean a reverse dependancy (what VIs depend on me?) - Vis don't store that information, so I think you're out of luck.

QUOTE (Bjarne Joergensen @ Feb 26 2009, 04:34 AM)

Hi All

Is there a way to find VIs where a specific VI is used, whithout loading all the VIs I might assume that call the specific VI?

best regards

Bjarne

If the VI is in a project you can right-click and select find callers. I use this method to fix-up projects where someone turned on "auto-populate" with broken VI in the folders. THe missing links in the Depndencies can then be used to chase up the tree to the caller.

Ben

QUOTE (Anke Schenk @ Feb 27 2009, 03:39 PM)

Bjarne,

My best used tool is the "Total Commander" by Christian Ghisler ( a must have for anyone who once used the Norton Commander). The built in search command works just fine.

I don't know about other browsers.

hope this helps

regards

Anke

Hi Anke

I works just great :worship:

Now I can find those VIs I have used a buggy lowlevel VI.

Tanks Again :wub:

/Bjarne

QUOTE (Bjarne Joergensen @ Feb 27 2009, 10:00 AM)

Hi Anke

I works just great :worship:

Now I can find those VIs I have used a buggy lowlevel VI.

Tanks Again :wub:

/Bjarne

It won't work in LabVIEW 8.6 AFAIK. They compress most of the information in a VI file. Freee text labels on the front panel for instance can not be found anymore in this way.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE (rolfk @ Mar 1 2009, 10:19 PM)

It won't work in LabVIEW 8.6 AFAIK. They compress most of the information in a VI file. Freee text labels on the front panel for instance can not be found anymore in this way.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Hej Rolf

It works for me, execpt when the files that use the file I'm looking for is in a llb!

/Bjarne

QUOTE (Bjarne Joergensen @ Mar 3 2009, 03:25 AM)

Hej Rolf

It works for me, execpt when the files that use the file I'm looking for is in a llb!

/Bjarne

Yes that can't work. The VI's inside an LLB are each compressed with an NI specific (by far not as good as zlib but at least something) algorithme into a resource and added to the LLB file. So the resource stream and therefore the LLB file does not contain intelligible ASCII characters due to that compression. This is so since the beginning of LLBs although NI added also an uncompressed LLB resource stream variant to the LLB format at around LabVIEW 8 but that seems only getting used when creating in the Application Builder the LLB that gets later turned into an executable.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE (Aristos Queue @ Mar 3 2009, 03:33 PM)

There is a VI Analyzer test you can use to analyze VIs on disk to see if they call a given subVI:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?boar...ssage.id=365628

This can search inside .llb files. I don't know what version of LV the earliest VI Analyzer was available.

Hi Aristos

It works just fine and then I can do the search from the LV environment, instead of using other programs.

best regards

Bjarne