Timer with Pause via Functional Global

Hey guys,

I'm prepping for the CLD in a couple weeks and running through the sample exams to brush up on my techniques since I haven't been doing LV actively for almost a year. One thing that I know is crucial to the CLD is proper timing. I'd run through the exams a couple years ago but never followed through with the official exam, and during the course of completing these I'd come up with a really nice, elegantly simple timer with pause that was implemented via a functional global. Trouble is, I can't seem to find my code anywhere and for some reason the logic to complete this is elusive at the moment. Have a look at my code - you'll see that I have a normal Get Date/Time in Seconds timing method, I'm just having trouble remembering what I did to implement the pause case. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe it's just Friday and my brain has already checked out for the weekend...

I know it was *something* like what I've attached, but more complicated. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something insanely simple... maybe a shift register tracking the states to determine when the pause case is first entered?

- Ben

Hi Ben,

I am preparing for my CLD as well. I am going to take it this friday at AL. I ran into the same problem as well. I guess you were working on the car wash example. I attached my take on the timer with pause, since the timer in the car wash example is too complicated. I added a few more states. Here is a usual call sequence of the function globel when you use it: start timer -> check timer -> pause timer -> restart timer -> check timer. This is not the most eligant solution, but it should do.

QUOTE (jyang72211 @ Mar 3 2009, 01:12 AM)

Hi Ben,

I am preparing for my CLD as well. I am going to take it this friday at AL. I ran into the same problem as well. I guess you were working on the car wash example. I attached my take on the timer with pause, since the timer in the car wash example is too complicated. I added a few more states. Here is a usual call sequence of the function globel when you use it: start timer -> check timer -> pause timer -> restart timer -> check timer. This is not the most eligant solution, but it should do.

Thanks for the example, although I think I've finally nailed it! I think I have some redundant wires in there, but it's simply for showing the exact elapsed time when the timer is paused. I think this is a pretty nice solution that allows for fairly accurate software timing and that's a pretty handy thing to have for the CLD. Any comments or critiques would be greatly appreciated!