Numeric Control Data Range Weirdness

viSci

I have noticed in LV 8.6.1 that some of my system numeric 'spinner' controls are no longer accepting min, max data range settings in the data entry popup.

I can type in a new value and it simply reverts to 0. Once LabVIEW has gotten it into its head to do this then all past and future numeric controls will not allow me

to range set. I am guessing that the Numeric Poperties popup has some 'smarts' in it that remembers the last settings and it appears that it is too smart for it own good.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Even worse, is that once a control develops this problem I cannot fix it other than deleting.

Um, this seems to me to be an awfully serious bug. I installed 8.6.1 a week or two ago (it has some fixes I was eagerly awaiting) but I think I will have to revert to 8.6 if NI does not release a fix for this. I'm trying to push NI to do something immediately about this one....

QUOTE (Paul_at_Lowell @ Mar 12 2009, 01:56 AM)

Um, this seems to me to be an awfully serious bug. I installed 8.6.1 a week or two ago (it has some fixes I was eagerly awaiting) but I think I will have to revert to 8.6 if NI does not release a fix for this. I'm trying to push NI to do something immediately about this one....

So do I.

And i confuse why NI don't release patchs instead of update the version of LabVIEW.

Wow, I am so dispointed.

About the issue, here are the screen shot. I think the major reason for this bug is the "Current Object".

Look at the picture, there is only one active object "Numeric" can be selected. SO, if we change the Data Entry , everthing wo do only affect the first numberic contol.

Ps: I am sorry about my wrriten English for I am Chinese.

我觉得主要的原因在于:在“当前对象”下拉列表中,只有一个对象。因此,所有的设定只对这一个对象有效,而对其他的对象无效。

QUOTE (cbolin @ Mar 13 2009, 12:15 AM)

Hey all,

We are currently finalizing a patch for LabVIEW 8.6.1 that will address this issue. I hope to have this patch out next week. Thank you so much for your patience and understanding!

Thank your lucky stars.

I think that NI can pulish some patches for LabVIEW just like Updates for Windows in Microsoft.

BUT, it maybe some trouble for LV because of the recompile work for Updates, not the patch lonely.

I hope that NI could do that some day.

QUOTE (cbolin @ Mar 17 2009, 01:10 PM)

QUESTION TO ALL LAVAites !

Can any of you recall a faster CAR to fix/patch cycle than we see with this post by coblin?

Thae CAR was report on "02-18-2009 05:27 PM " in this thread on the dark-side.

27 days latter we have a fix!

I can not recall any previous PUBLIC* bug getting fixed that fast.

Is this a new record?

Ben

* PUBLIC = No Beta bugs don't count.

QUOTE (neBulus @ Mar 17 2009, 02:31 PM)

I do not have any exact numbers but it is probably quite a fast fix indeed. In earlier days (LabVIEW 3 and so) patch fix releases where actually a lot more frequent with the f number sometimes approaching two digits. So there might have been some that were actually released as fix before anyone extern to NI might even have noticed them.

However I do think they should make it somehow possible to release such fixes more frequently and allow an easy installation. A lot of LabVIEW is nowadays not in the actual binary executable anymore but in external VI files, although mostly password protected, so it is often a matter of replacing one or two VI files in a LabVIEW installation as was with this particular bug. That could be easily made more frequent since the test scope of such a modification is rather limited. For changes that get into larger components like the LabVIEW executable itself I do understand that the testing before releasing is a major pain and they probably never will go to release such fixes in lets say a monthly interval.

If those VI based tool would not be password protected we might fix them ourselves and make them available but as it stands now we have to rely on NI to do that for us.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE (rolfk @ Mar 18 2009, 05:20 AM)

I do not have any exact numbers but it is probably quite a fast fix indeed. ...

If those VI based tool would not be password protected we might fix them ourselves and make them available but as it stands now we have to rely on NI to do that for us.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Thank you Rolf. That was the type of reply I was hoping to get.

Re:Fix it ourselves...

That is moving farther away from reality with every release. THe new version of teh Report Gen tool-kit has been implemented in LVOOP. We need a small change to a table in a report such that we needed it to include a header at the top of each page when a table spanned multilple pages. In the old version we could grab the right reference and "roll-our-own" enhancement. But now that;

1) the tool-kit is in LVOOP and

2) we don't have the password to the library, and

3) All reference are now private data

We had to duplicate the some of the Tool-kit code to implement the change.

Ben

QUOTE (Yair @ Mar 18 2009, 01:19 PM)

Good point Yair, I forgot about that one. So we don't have a new record but we do have waht could potentially be a pattern of quick fixes for serious problems.

I like it.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the original topic, I am having an issue with the system numeric spinner on 8.5.1 where the min and max values I have entered will not be honored by the control. For example, in order to get a 4 to 20mA range, I had to enter 3 to 21 as min/max :angry: .

Is this a known big on 8.5.1?

Edit: Nevermind. Looked into it further. Not a bug. The increment resolution changes as it approaches the max. Not a bug maybe, but not intuative IMO.