QUOTE (LVBeginner @ Mar 10 2009, 05:53 AM)

Well there's nothing wrong with a URL of the form http://192.168.1.100/myfolder/myfile.html. If you have machine names they are just converted to the numbered address sooner or later (probably sooner). If you don't know what's supposed to come after the IP address, no one on this board can help you. You have to find whoever wrote the server.

QUOTE (jdunham @ Mar 10 2009, 02:01 PM)

Well there's nothing wrong with a URL of the form http://192.168.1.100/myfolder/myfile.html. If you have machine names they are just converted to the numbered address sooner or later (probably sooner). If you don't know what's supposed to come after the IP address, no one on this board can help you. You have to find whoever wrote the server.

I think that this is my problem with my WinHTTP program. I have everything setup and I can get all kinds of html data from any website that I put in to the URL tab of the OPEN method. Now today I wanted to start and POST data to a server as a test and somebody setup a listener for me. The location of the listener was given to me as an IP address appended by ":XXX", X's being numbers. What bothers me here is that I can do GET on any other website but the one that they supplied me with I can't.

They told me that they DNS doesn't have a name so everything has to be in IP addresses. I was just wondering if that would be my problem why I can't use GET with the IP address.

QUOTE (LVBeginner @ Mar 10 2009, 08:10 AM)

I think that this is my problem with my WinHTTP program. I have everything setup and I can get all kinds of html data from any website that I put in to the URL tab of the OPEN method. Now today I wanted to start and POST data to a server as a test and somebody setup a listener for me. The location of the listener was given to me as an IP address appended by ":XXX", X's being numbers. What bothers me here is that I can do GET on any other website but the one that they supplied me with I can't.

They told me that they DNS doesn't have a name so everything has to be in IP addresses. I was just wondering if that would be my problem why I can't use GET with the IP address.

well :xxx is the port number, which default to 80 for http. Sounds like a firewall somewhere is blocking other ports. Again, start with

telnet <ip address> <port #>

from the command prompt to make sure the network is working end to end.

Have fun!

QUOTE (jdunham @ Mar 10 2009, 04:16 PM)

Thank you very much for all the help. I think there is a problem with my proxy server. When I try telnet www.w3.org #port, and for #port I used the proxy server port and made www.w3.org as an exception and used proxycfg.exe to adapt the settings from the IE. I still can't connect to anything so I think my proxy server needs some modification.

Ok I took the advice and made a program using ActiveX WinHTTP object to send an xml file to a off-site server. Now I have included a screenshot of the program and I was wondering if anybody has experience with it to help me out. I get the error that the server name or address could not be resolved. I have tried other webpages and I used the method GET and I got all kinds of html data from it. Thank you