Looking for a LabVIEW Viewer

Well, the title says it all. I'm in need of a LV Viewer, something that allows me to look just at vis but not edit/save/execute. I did a search on the topic and found some posts from a year or two ago, with no luck. I was hoping there might be a chance something had become available since then.

Here's the situation: You all post all sorts of interesting sounding code on LAVA. I can't see it because I don't have LV on this computer. It is, in essence, good for nothing more than reading email and browsing what few websites the fed gov't allows (I'm at a .mil site). I am not allowed to install software on this computer. So to see your code, I have to copy it to a thumb drive, and then walk over to the lab where my development computers are. But wait, in the latest flail of government paranoia, we're not allowed to use thumb drives anymore (don't get me started... :headbang: ).

So, it would be nice if there was a viewer available for LV. And in the meantime, let me add a sincere thanks to those of you who post screenshots of your code. That at least I can see.

Cat

QUOTE (Cat @ Mar 11 2009, 12:25 PM)

Well, the title says it all. I'm in need of a LV Viewer, something that allows me to look just at vis but not edit/save/execute. I did a search on the topic and found some posts from a year or two ago, with no luck. I was hoping there might be a chance something had become available since then.

Here's the situation: You all post all sorts of interesting sounding code on LAVA. I can't see it because I don't have LV on this computer. It is, in essence, good for nothing more than reading email and browsing what few websites the fed gov't allows (I'm at a .mil site). I am not allowed to install software on this computer. So to see your code, I have to copy it to a thumb drive, and then walk over to the lab where my development computers are. But wait, in the latest flail of government paranoia, we're not allowed to use thumb drives anymore (don't get me started... :headbang: ).

So, it would be nice if there was a viewer available for LV. And in the meantime, let me add a sincere thanks to those of you who post screenshots of your code. That at least I can see.

Cat

Hi Cat

I think you're out of luck.. The only thing you can do if you're interested by a piece of code posted on the forum is to ask someone to make and post a screen shot of it.

Sorry...

QUOTE (Antoine Châlons @ Mar 11 2009, 03:00 PM)

I now think of Vugie's tool http://forums.lavag.org/VIpreVIEW-Interactive-VI-preview-t10211.html' target="_blank">VIpreVIEW, this would be much better than a screen shot !

But it's still doesn't help you alot... :(

Potentially it could be used on server side, but I'm not sure whether it would work compiled (uses scripting).

QUOTE (TobyD @ Mar 11 2009, 10:08 AM)

Would a viewer really help anyway? If you can't install software...

Well... hypothetically speaking, I could copy an unobtrusive stand-alone executable to this machine and run it. It's just when there's a "setup.exe", "*.msi", or other file of that sort involved that I get instantaneous permissions errors. And even if I did put an unauthorized *.exe file on here there's a good chance the Computer Police would spot it and wipe it off. But that takes awhile and I could just recopy it. Hypothetically speaking, of course...

QUOTE (Cat @ Mar 11 2009, 06:36 AM)

Well... hypothetically speaking, I could copy an unobtrusive stand-alone executable to this machine and run it. It's just when there's a "setup.exe", "*.msi", or other file of that sort involved that I get instantaneous permissions errors. And even if I did put an unauthorized *.exe file on here there's a good chance the Computer Police would spot it and wipe it off. But that takes awhile and I could just recopy it. Hypothetically speaking, of course...

:ninja: I see. I'll try to remember you (and others in your situation) when I post code. Screenshots are good :thumbup:

I don't know if this would work, but you could try NI's online evaluation. It requires installing some ActiveX component, but I don't think it needs a separate EXE. I never used it myself, but here are some potential problems - would you be able to get the files onto it? Would it allow you to run it multiple times? Is it a recent version? Will it be fast enough?

P.S. It's nice to hear that LAVA is on the list of approved government sites. :laugh:

P.P.S Thumb drives can be a huge security risk.

I always try to post screenshots. That was the LAVA policy way back at the beginning. Now it seems people are not bothering. Now that the tools have caught up, I think screenshots should always be included.

I think we should all make an effort to post screenshots. Nowadays I prefer video. It's so easy with Screencast.com and Jing (is screencast.com blocked Cat?).

QUOTE (Michael Aivaliotis @ Mar 11 2009, 06:28 PM)

Nowadays I prefer video. It's so easy with Screencast.com and Jing (is screencast.com blocked Cat?).

I'm not sure about screencast, but I know that flash is blocked, so the videos that you post are blocked. I'm at a .mil computer too. I can't even post to lava at work because the php script redirect that goes on when you want to post is blocked. I solve this problem by having a non-internet LabVIEW computer right next to my "Internet" computer (sharing keyboard, monitor, and mouse via a kvm switch) so that if I find something on lava I want to see, I can open it quickly. I now use a laptop hard drive instead of a thumb drive to move stuff between computers.

QUOTE (Yair @ Mar 11 2009, 02:44 PM)

I'll give the online evaluation a try and see how that goes. Thanks for the suggestion.

P.S. LAVA is *not* on the list of *unapproved* sites. Once Big Brother discovers how much time I spend here, however, all bets are off. :-)

P.P.S. Thumb drive security risks are a *training* issue. I'm well trained not to walk out of here with classified documents. I'm well trained not to send classified email. My much-missed thumb drive is both encrypted and has a physical write lock on it. I know how to use it securely. People just need to be educated on how to use a thumb drive safely, just like they had to be educated 15 years ago on how to use a floppy disk safely.

I'm stopping now, before this turns into a full-fledged rant. I said not to get me started on this topic!

QUOTE (Michael Aivaliotis @ Mar 11 2009, 07:28 PM)

I think we should all make an effort to post screenshots. Nowadays I prefer video. It's so easy with Screencast.com and Jing (is screencast.com blocked Cat?).

Not yet... I'm not sure what would happen if I started downloading a lot of content from there. It might get Someone's attention. But it works, for the moment.

Screenshots are good for us to get an idea of what's in the code, but I like it when members actually upload the code so I can play around with it, see what's really happening, test changes, make suggestions more easily, etc. It would be great if there was a board plug-in that could show a web-preview of the diagram of uploaded VIs...

QUOTE (crelf @ Mar 12 2009, 05:27 PM)

QUOTE (Michael Aivaliotis @ Mar 19 2009, 01:52 AM)

Ya that would be great. Now back to reality...

The "only" thing required for that would be a development environment running on server...

QUOTE (Michael Aivaliotis @ Mar 19 2009, 06:01 PM)

LAVA runs on a linux server. If you have a plan for how we can accomplish this, I'm all ears.

Do you mean it IS possible (and realistic) to have LV development environment on this server?

QUOTE (Ale914 @ Mar 20 2009, 06:53 AM)
If you have an SSH access to the server and your hosting provider premit you to install application, maybe you can
Well, It's a dedicated server, so I can do whatever I want. The problem is Linux scares me. My fear is performing an installation that will somehow crash the server, which even a reboot can't fix. I can't afford to have the server go down because you guys will start yelling at me.