First VI to open in project takes long time

Here is something that has bugged me for awhile:

If I open a project and then open a VI that has a lot of sub-vis, it takes a very long time to open (many minutes). I can see the 'VI loading' dialog and it is iterating through the sub-vis at a rate of about 1 VI per second.

Once the VI finally loads, I can close it and then reopen it and it opens in about 2 seconds.

So, at first I thought it was cached on the second load and that is why it was fast.

But, if I close the project and then reopen it, then load a simple VI with very few sub-VIs first, that VI will open fairly quickly. If I then try to open my big VI, it will also open quickly (in seconds). In fact, it opens so fast that I never see the 'VI loading' dialog at all.

So, does anyone know what is going on here? This only happens if I load the VIs from a project. If I load them directly they open instantly.

-John

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (jlokanis @ Mar 24 2009, 02:16 PM)

Am I the only one with this problem? Now I really feel alone... :(

Anything special about your setup? Project or project VIs on a network drive? LabVIEW starting up from a network drive? It seems that there must be something like this.

Something similar though not to LabVIEW only I see on my machine if I do not have a connection to my VPN server. Presumably because I have a path somewhere in the registry that points to a location on a shared drive only available when logged in through VPN. But Widnows seems to check that path anyhow everytime I click on a file in Explorer :angry: .

It's annoying but not annoying enough to really dig through the registry to find the offending entry.

Rolf Kalbermatter

when I open the first VI it's slow. But I thing in my case its due to loading the visa resources(serial ports, GPIB to instruments, etc etc)

The reason I thing this, is that this only apply to first VI that using visa.

This was much faster in 8.6 that 7.0

My bet: Source code control and/or installed LV modules.

The first time you open a VI in a project, if you have SCC enabled, all the SCC VIs that manage that connection load into memory and then stay there.

The various LV modules (real-time, FPGA, PDA, etc) can also add plug-ins to the project that respond to the loading of VIs.

QUOTE (Ton @ Mar 25 2009, 04:36 AM)

Strange, I would expect that these loaded when a project is openend.

Why? There are various uses of the project, most notably building an app, that does not involve opening a VI (note I distinguish loading a VI vs opening a VI, since AppBuilder obviously must load VIs). The project loads the pieces it needs as it needs them.

QUOTE (Aristos Queue @ Mar 25 2009, 01:13 AM)

QUOTE (Ton @ Mar 25 2009, 11:36 AM)

Strange, I would expect that these loaded when a project is openend.

QUOTE (Aristos Queue @ Mar 25 2009, 02:16 PM)

Why? There are various uses of the project, most notably building an app, that does not involve opening a VI (note I distinguish loading a VI vs opening a VI, since AppBuilder obviously must load VIs). The project loads the pieces it needs as it needs them.

Well all these nice overlay icons for SCC'd items are the reason why I would expect that SCC VIs load direcly upon opening a project.

Ton

QUOTE (Ton @ Mar 26 2009, 03:07 AM)
Well all these nice overlay icons for SCC'd items are the reason why I would expect that SCC VIs load direcly upon opening a project.
Some SCC VIs do load with the project, but not all. Those for status load immediately. Those for checking in/out wait until there's something open that you could edit.