what HW test engineer must know on LAVA

i am a HW test engineer, now i can use LabVIEW control DAQ,control Agilent instrument, but i am not sure are those skills can fit LabVIEW developer's job requirement. Because i am looking for a new job to be a LabVIEW engineer. i'd like to know more and be stronger.

You can download LabVIEW from NI's website and run it in a fully functional evaluation mode for 30 days.

If you do that and go through some of these tutorials, you should have a better idea of how it fits you. My advice would be not to try to take it all in at once. Try building a hobby project which will be related to something you know about. There are some relatively cheap hardware modules which you can use to control things with by having digital and analog I/O and this should probably fit your current skills.

P.S. The fact that you capitalized LabVIEW corretly is already a good step in the right direction. :thumbup:

QUOTE (Yair @ Mar 29 2009, 02:01 AM)

You can download LabVIEW from NI's website and run it in a fully functional evaluation mode for 30 days.

If you do that and go through some of http://wiki.lavag.org/LabVIEW_tutorial' rel='nofollow' target="_blank">these tutorials, you should have a better idea of how it fits you. My advice would be not to try to take it all in at once. Try building a hobby project which will be related to something you know about. There are some relatively cheap hardware modules which you can use to control things with by having digital and analog I/O and this should probably fit your current skills.

P.S. The fact that you capitalized LabVIEW corretly is already a good step in the right direction. :thumbup:

Thanks Yair, i have LabVIEW license in my company and also have some devices on hand such as PCI6509,8451,6212...

in my eyes, i recognize LabVIEW as a device control and DAQ, i don't konw how to face interview's question, or what questions will be asked. i am preparing for that...

i'd like to know what skills are essential for being a LabVIEW engineer.

QUOTE (levin.hua @ Mar 29 2009, 02:17 AM)

i'd like to know what skills are essential for being a LabVIEW engineer.

You should have a working knowledge of the popular hardware interfaces: GPIB, Serial, USB, PXI, SCXI, etc.

Be prepared to talk about more than one or two interfaces. When someone is being interviewed, and they wax poetic about a specific piece of equipment (such as Agilent), but don't bring up anything else, it's a red flag.

Besides the listed hardware interfaces, you should be familiar with (at least) MAX (Measurement & Automation Explorer), Setting up and using DAQmx Tasks, and File I/O (logging to file). If I were interviewing someone and they balked at any of those basic items, it would be another red flag.

Also, know your audience. Unless the person is a LabVIEW programmer, they will not care that you know a Queue from a Notifier, but they might be delighted that you can click a solenoid.

I would say that it highly depends. LabVIEW isn't used as diversly as C, for example, but it's used differently in different places. Some places might expect a very good knowledge of electronics or other domain specific knowledge while other places might prefer a good understanding of LabVIEW and place less emphasis on domain knowledge.

You can read this recent thread for more input.

QUOTE (Yair @ Mar 30 2009, 01:05 AM)

Yes, i am seriously agree your viewpoint. sometimes i found my tutor costed lots of time to study datasheet or equipment program guidance. sometimes i felt he was not a SW engineer but a electronic engineer.

i looked the those thread you referred.

Thanks!