Save the Earth!

PaulG.

Did any of you save the earth tonight? :o

Me neither. Sorry to say I had every light on in my apartment. I baked a large frozen pizza in the oven. I nuked some microwave popcorn and watched a movie. I even washed my hair as an excuse to pull out the old blow drier. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong. I, as much as anyone, want to save the planet from "Global Warming", uh, er, I mean "Climate Change". Really. I'm just holding out for 0bama or the UN to call for a "No Flush Week". I would go for that.

QUOTE (PaulG. @ Mar 28 2009, 08:05 PM)

http://www.earthhourus.org/' rel='nofollow' target="_blank">Did any of you save the earth tonight? :o

Me neither. Sorry to say I had every light on in my apartment. I baked a large frozen pizza in the oven. I nuked some microwave popcorn and watched a movie. I even washed my hair as an excuse to pull out the old blow drier. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong. I, as much as anyone, want to save the planet from "Global Warming", uh, er, I mean "Climate Change". Really. I'm just holding out for 0bama or the UN to call for a "No Flush Week". I would go for that.

Many people celebrated Earth Hour by burning candles instead of using lights. If you believe that CO2 causes "Climate Change" what do you think is worse, a bunch of candles or a high effiency light bulb?

Personally I started every computer in my workshop and left all my lights and equipment on.

I even went in to heavy lab and started at least 5kW of Hibay lighting and the hydraulic cooling pumps.

Dear Colleagues

**** is supporting Earth Hour, on Saturday 28th March from 8.30pm – 9.30 pm by switching off all non essential lighting around the **** ****.

Staff are encouraged to support this event by ensuring that your workstation or office is not using any unnecessary energy. Collectively, simple activities like leaving lights on when you leave a room or leaving appliances on standby are direct, unnecessary contributors to climate change.

Earth Hour is about raising awareness of climate change, the more people who turn off their lights for the hour, the stronger the message we all send that we are committed to action on climate change.

We can all make a difference by switching off all electrical equipment – including microwaves, computer monitors, photocopiers, air conditioning units, and any unused lighting.

This event serves as a good opportunity for us all to think about how we can all reduce our carbon footprints for earth hour and beyond. For more energy saving tips please see Energy saving tips or visit the Earth Hour website.

So don’t forget to support Earth Hour by ensuring all lights and appliances are switched off when you leave your office at the end of today.

Kind regards

I hope the SCADA system shows an increase in power over this period, that will show em!! Dam hippies.

QUOTE (crelf @ Mar 30 2009, 11:31 AM)

I don't care whether you agree that climate change is true or not, I can't think of any time that it's a good idea to waste energy. Heck, I don't think it's a good idea to waste *anything*.

What about wasting unproductive brain cells with a stiff drink.

So if I drink in a darkened bar (saving energy because the lights are dim), and all my energy hog appliances at home are turned off (because I am at the bar). Not only am I saving energy but I am making my good brain cells more efficient by getting rid of blood sucking under performing brain cells.

Once again alcohol the cause of and solution to all of life's little problems.

But what happens when you get inebriated and then stumble and fall in the dark bar where the lights are dim to save energy, and have to go to the hospital. Then they have to use the highly efficient low power MRI machine, which net energy usage now gets you a gain in energy usage, bringing all of your hopes of "less impact" crashing down, not to mention the lighter wallet. But then you insurance company sues the bar's insurance company to get the money for your bill because the lights where at an unsafe level (we wont even count all of the energy usage for the companies/people involved in the lawsuit).

But at least you are doing your part to help restart the economy by providing the hospital, lawyer, insurance and bar owner work :thumbup:

(That was too much thinking for a non-productive post)