LVSpeak - tell LV what to do

norm,

yeah, i was holding down the ctl key, and i can get the QE window to open. when i have speach recognition turned on in windows, i can get random windows voice commands to work with labview, but nothing in the LVSpeak realm ... i can't seem to get windows to allow labview to take the commands. when i watch the block diagram, i don't ever see any speech fire off the event structure. however, if i say "create control" or "create anything" i get the VI Revision window opening up and asking me to put in comments on the latest revision of the current VI i'm working in.

If you can for debug purposes, try turning off the built in windows speech recognition interface. Perhaps it's conflicting with the session that LVSpeak is in control of.

Never heard of the VI revision dialog popping up before.... :blink:

It sounds like LVSpeak is running just fine, but something is stopping it's MS SAPI engine instance from hearing you.

I think it's either 1 of 2 things.

The built in functionality in windows is overriding the LVSpeak engine ( which doesn't make a ton of sense because I had both setup at once, once upon a time)

or that perhaps the speech engine instance that LVSpeak starts is looking at a different audio input on your system other than the one that the built in MS function engine is using (I've seen this on my system as I've connected/disconnected various forms of input)

good luck

I think i'm going to write off being able to use LVSpeak on this laptop. I have tried changing the default microphone, turned off speech recognition, and nothing seems to help. i'm sure somewhere down the road someone will figure this out, and i'll be oh so happy then! Thanks for your help!

I think i'm going to write off being able to use LVSpeak on this laptop. I have tried changing the default microphone, turned off speech recognition, and nothing seems to help. i'm sure somewhere down the road someone will figure this out, and i'll be oh so happy then! Thanks for your help!

Any chance you've got another PC to try it out on just to make sure there isn't something insidious going on? (bermuda triangle'ish kind of things)

• 1 month later...

Any chance you've got another PC to try it out on just to make sure there isn't something insidious going on? (bermuda triangle'ish kind of things)

I actually have a co-worker who is running into the same problem. Windows 7 64 bit on a laptop. LV Speak does not work on his laptop natively, but if he runs a VM it seems to work. Thoughts?

I actually have a co-worker who is running into the same problem. Windows 7 64 bit on a laptop. LV Speak does not work on his laptop natively, but if he runs a VM it seems to work. Thoughts?

It looks like the SAPI versions changed between Windows versions.

WinXP uses SAPI 5.1, Win7 uses SAPI 5.4. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Speech_API#SAPI_5_API_family)

There seems to be a lot of confusion on the matter:

One posting

MS tech note <- not for the faint of C (like myself)

The file needed looks to be "sapi.dll". On my Win7 Pro machine (no LabVIEW), this dll appears in a couple of locations (it's 5.3, though, hrm). Possibly the reference to the dll in the code will need to be updated for the 64-bit version?

2 cents.

Joe Z.

Edited by jzoller
  • 1 month later...

so i discovered something over the weekend. i am having a pig of a time getting the JKI Right Click Framework to work properly on my computer. Its hit or miss if my hot key activation is registered. I think there is something a little weird going on with my system, and that is keeping me from using it. I wonder if I can blame this one on Dell? if anyone else sees this problem, please let me know.

• 2 years later...

Just to kick this alive for those who care, I've released a very simple version of LVSpeak without quick edit.

http://lavag.org/topic/15955-labview-speak-basic/

It delivers a very simple API for adding speech to any application.

A future release will have the full featured capabilities and will have QuickEdit included.

along with installer

along with a command set

along with more and more and more ;)

but for now, this is all ya get.

~,~