LabVIEW-compatible hardware in hobbyist price range

Sparkette

Is there any USB hardware compatible with LabVIEW which can let me get a taste of the hardware interfacing features in LabVIEW that I don't need to shell out hundreds of dollars for? There's got to be something in the sub-$50 price range which can be controlled by LabVIEW over USB. Any ideas?

Helo flarn,

You can control any USB device with VISA (http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4478). Works the same as any other programming environment.

-Justin

oops posted too early :)...

If you take a look at the link, it is equivalent to any other bus IO in LabVIEW.

Why do you want to take a trial of USB IO in LabVIEW? Seems like a lot of effort. Also, what kind of devices are you ultimately trying to interface, custom devices or commercial devices (i.e. a uC or a webcam)?

Best of luck,

-Justin

QUOTE (RalcoBe @ Mar 30 2009, 10:31 AM)

You can even do it for free.

The soundcard, parallel and serial port are accessible in Labview, and can be used as I/O.

For example, with the microphone input you can measure AC signals, like the speed af a car using the tacho signal

Confirm. Some time ago I made simple metal detector and distance sensor using piece of copper wire and two jack plugs. I winded wire around a pencil making a coil and was generating sinusoindal signal through headphones output and measuring responce with microphone input.

There is also a number of cheap "osciloscope cards" working with sound card (around few $) - making such a play safer for sound card

• 2 weeks later...