Perforce popup during build

When I build an application (LabVIEW 8.6) I get popups from Perforce (Perforce SCM version 2004.2) saying:

p4 fstat -P {1 files}

Path 'x:\Projets\BUILDS\internal.llb' is not under client's root 'c:\'.

Indeed the destination is not under the Perforce root as I don't keep executables under source control. The popups pause the build until I click OK. That is rather annoying since the second popup appears under the build status window so I have to check the windows bar (preventing me of doing other useful tasks).

It looks like a bug since internal.llb is a temporary file and there is no need to check its SCC status.

QUOTE (jpdrolet @ Apr 7 2009, 09:21 AM)

This is a combination of two bugs - one LabVIEW and one Perforce. The Perforce 2004.2 was showing this dialog whenever there was an fstat problem. This was corrected in a later version (the current version is 2008.2). Secondly, LabVIEW is checking source control status on files during a build. This is a known issue and has been reported to LabVIEW R&D. Updating the Perforce version should eliminate the dialog.

Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately, our Perforce server version is 2002.2 and the latest client supporting it is 2008.1 . Changing the SCC from Perforce SCM to Perforce Command Line prevents the popups. However we lose the neat Revision Graph feature.

That begs another question: using Perforce SCM why can LabVIEW invoke Perforce's Revision Graph feature (or close relative) while P4Win can't (or doesn't allow)? :ninja:

QUOTE (jpdrolet @ Apr 8 2009, 07:47 AM)

Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately, our Perforce server version is 2002.2 and the latest client supporting it is 2008.1 . Changing the SCC from Perforce SCM to Perforce Command Line prevents the popups. However we lose the neat Revision Graph feature.

That begs another question: using Perforce SCM why can LabVIEW invoke Perforce's Revision Graph feature (or close relative) while P4Win can't (or doesn't allow)? :ninja:

You shouldn't need to update the server version. What is needed is the later version of the P4SCC plugin. This plugin is typically installed with the P4Win or P4V installations. As far as the revision graph feature, Perforce SCM is Perforce's implementation of IDE SCC integration. So they expose whatever features they choose. I checked my P4Win (which is 2008.2) and it does have the Revision Graph option. I'm not sure if support for this is tied to the version of the server you are running.

QUOTE (gmart @ Apr 8 2009, 09:37 AM)

I did and P4SCC did request a server version 2004.2 or later (from LabVIEW or P4Win). P4SCC 2008.1 does support our server version, P4SCC 2008.2 doesn't.

QUOTE (gmart @ Apr 8 2009, 09:37 AM)

As far as the revision graph feature, Perforce SCM is Perforce's implementation of IDE SCC integration. So they expose whatever features they choose. I checked my P4Win (which is 2008.2) and it does have the Revision Graph option. I'm not sure if support for this is tied to the version of the server you are running.

Well LabVIEW can invoke the Revision Graph feature with our server and P4SCC 2008.1 while P4Win does request server version 2004.2 or later. Incentive to upgrade, maybe?

QUOTE (jpdrolet @ Apr 8 2009, 08:54 AM)

I did and P4SCC did request a server version 2004.2 or later (from LabVIEW or P4Win). P4SCC 2008.1 does support our server version, P4SCC 2008.2 doesn't.

Well LabVIEW can invoke the Revision Graph feature with our server and P4SCC 2008.1 while P4Win does request server version 2004.2 or later. Incentive to upgrade, maybe?

Perhaps. The requirements are interesting. I am not well versed on Perforce's needs so you'd have to ask them why they chose to do this. Just so I'm clear, you are not able to use the P4SCC 2008.1 because it wants a newer server correct? I believe the original problem you reported was fixed in a P4SCC with a 2005.x version and higher (though I'm not sure). You would need to verify this with Perforce, but I think it's possible to have a different version of P4SCC, P4, P4Win and the like all on the same machine.