Is TestStand the right tool?

mrstevenund

QUOTE (ShaunR @ Apr 29 2009, 05:42 AM)

I'm thinking more about the cost of deployment. Exes and dll's are don't require licensing.I'd find it impossible to justify that the customer pays thousands for a full package which he/she never uses just so that they can use my software.

Actually a deployment license is only $500. Granted, you still have a license cost per installation but they do not have to purchase the entire TestStand license. These deployments work essentially the same as a standalone LabVIEW application with the runtime engine.

QUOTE (Mark Yedinak @ Apr 29 2009, 03:50 PM)

Actually a deployment license is only $500. Granted, you still have a license cost per installation but they do not have to purchase the entire TestStand license. These deployments work essentially the same as a standalone LabVIEW application with the runtime engine.

We were talking about a full Labview development environment my comment was aimed at this

The
LV
development environment is very useful in debugging on the fly if you have live code. NI even supports it with a licensing option.

Since the OP said he deploys the vi's and anyone can change them (have to have labview on there for that). That is more than $500.

QUOTE (ShaunR @ Apr 29 2009, 10:26 AM)

We were talking about a full Labview development environment my comment was aimed at this

Since the OP said he deploys the vi's and anyone can change them (have to have labview on there for that). That is more than $500.

But the full development license of LabVIEW is NOT required to run a TestStand deployment. Trust me, we are deploying systems here without a full license of either LabVIEW or TestStand installed on the machine. The LabVIEW runtime engine gets installed and a deployment license of TestStand is installed. The only cost for the deployed system is the $500 TestStand deployment license.

QUOTE (Mark Yedinak @ Apr 29 2009, 09:53 PM)

But the full development license of LabVIEW is NOT required to run a TestStand deployment. Trust me, we are deploying systems here without a full license of either LabVIEW or TestStand installed on the machine. The LabVIEW runtime engine gets installed and a deployment license of TestStand is installed. The only cost for the deployed system is the $500 TestStand deployment license.

Read the thread again from 7 posts up.

QUOTE (ShaunR @ Apr 29 2009, 06:07 PM)

Read the thread again from 7 posts up.

Yes, and my statements still stand. NI provides means to install and uninstall the LabVIEW development environment for debugging purposes. I imagine they do for TestStand as well. However, neither development environments are required and therefore deployment costs for a TestStand system are limited to the TestStand deployment license. Systems generally aren't deployed which support full development environments. If that is what you want then yes there is additional costs but that is a different breed of a deployed product.

• 7 years later...

Almost 8 years later and there's a new test sequencing tool called TVI:

http://tvi.co

TVI offers test sequences creation and reporting engine and is very easy to use. It is aimed for teams who are considering a 3rd party test management tool, but are not ready yet to jump on the full scale that TestStand offers.

Disclosure: I'm affiliated with Testview, makers of TVI.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 years later...
On 3/28/2017 at 1:44 PM, Avital_Testview said:

Almost 8 years later and there's a new test sequencing tool called TVI:

http://tvi.co

TVI offers test sequences creation and reporting engine and is very easy to use. It is aimed for teams who are considering a 3rd party test management tool, but are not ready yet to jump on the full scale that TestStand offers.

Disclosure: I'm affiliated with Testview, makers of TVI.

Reminding all of you that this software just kept on developing in the last few years, and that it's affordable, and that it's super intuitive 

• Like 1