Pure Energy! Does it have legs?

Pure Energy! Does it have legs?

I have a comment that I would like to pass along to the vast LabVIEW community in general for their opinion, but which is really being addressed specifically to the NI marketing folk, since they will be the ones making the final decision. While working in Europe with a team of C++ developers, the programmer who was my interface to my LabVIEW code who knew some LabVIEW made a comment out of the blue at our daily Scrum meeting.

He called LabVIEW, "pure energy".

Also being a C++ programmer myself, I can well understand what he meant. The more I think about these creative buzz words that I could not have dreamed up myself, the more I think that it expresses concisely the power of LabVIEW to non-user programmers in the text based world. I cannot take the credit or blame, since I am just the messenger.

So what do you think? Does this marketing hype have legs?

QUOTE (jimlandowski @ Apr 15 2009, 04:30 PM)

... The more I think about these creative buzz words that I could not have dreamed up myself, the more I think that it expresses concisely the power of LabVIEW to non-user programmers in the text based world ...

LabVIEW's greatest strength is also it's greatest weakness. NI invests heavily to the "non-user" market. A "non-user" can whip up a functional VI in just a few minutes and NI can claim another "sale". But what is that "non-user" going to do with that data?

"Pure energy" ?!?!? :laugh:

I've been programming in LV for over 10 years and I can assure you: LabVIEW is no more "pure energy" than any other language. If I had spent the last 10 years programming in Python I might be able to say the same thing about Python. The only reason I stuck with LV is that graphical programming appeals more to the way my brain works.

"Do you want me to draw you a picture?"

"Yes." :)

Decidedly off-topic, but the first thing I thought of after reading the title was

More on topic, I would entirely agree with PaulG that LabVIEW isn't any more energetic than other languages - except for the lack of textual syntax. A lot of people stumble on syntax in a text-based language and LV doesn't really have syntax, per se.

QUOTE (asbo @ Apr 16 2009, 05:11 AM)

Decidedly off-topic, but the first thing I thought of after reading the title was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs' rel='nofollow' target="_blank">this.

More on topic, I would entirely agree with PaulG that LabVIEW isn't any more energetic than other languages - except for the lack of textual syntax. A lot of people stumble on syntax in a text-based language and LV doesn't really have syntax, per se.

That ad is just too good! :)

Shane

...I'm not sure if adding Anna Kournikova to my drink is a good idea but I'm not against trying new things.

When it comes to LabVIEW marketing, I really don't care too much about the latest slogan. I've also become kinda jaded whenever NI comes out with some cool new toolkit or addon. It seems that alot of the things they make are aimed at beginners and usually aren't the kinds of tools I would use. That's not saying I don't use NI toolkits, I'm just saying that I realize NI would probably rather make things that bring in new customers rather than making tools to help their existing customers.

We used to have a poster at the company where I work that said something like: "For every existing customer you lose you have to recruite 10 new ones to compensate".

It may not always be true, but I think it's a very good rule to operate by.

One small thing that could improve LabVIEW in this aspect would be to let users choose between a set of user profiles during the installation process (for those of us that have Volume Licenses it would be nice to have an *easy* way to include our own such profiles in the installation sets as well), that way we would not need to repeatedly deal with the "Express mode" that they have chosen to be the default.

QUOTE (hooovahh @ Apr 16 2009, 02:37 PM)

...I'm not sure if adding Anna Kournikova to my drink is a good idea but I'm not against trying new things.

When it comes to LabVIEW marketing, I really don't care too much about the latest slogan. I've also become kinda jaded whenever NI comes out with some cool new toolkit or addon. It seems that alot of the things they make are aimed at beginners and usually aren't the kinds of tools I would use. That's not saying I don't use NI toolkits, I'm just saying that I realize NI would probably rather make things that bring in new customers rather than making tools to help their existing customers.

QUOTE (hooovahh @ Apr 16 2009, 05:37 AM)

It seems that alot of the things they make are aimed at beginners and usually aren't the kinds of tools I would use. That's not saying I don't use NI toolkits, I'm just saying that I realize NI would probably rather make things that bring in new customers rather than making tools to help their existing customers.

I'd have to say that NI has done a decent job lately (last few years) of creating tools that are aimed at their existing customers. I'm not actually using these toolkits right now, but if you look at the state-charts, execution-trace, unit-test, etc. they are not targeting any of those toolkits at "new" users of LabVIEW.