Geek Credentials

I don't have a picture but my kids like to give me crap about having an engraved name plat eon the back of my HP 48G calculator. I do get some payback now though because my oldest will be attending Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology this fall. They are home of the "Fightin' Engineers". Their campus isn't exactly a geek free zone.

QUOTE (Mark Yedinak @ Apr 20 2009, 05:26 PM)

I don't have a picture but my kids like to give me crap about having an engraved name plate on the back of my HP 48G calculator.

Awesome! I had an engraved name plate on my 48GX! I still contend the 48G series was the best graphing scientific calculator ever made (always bugged me that TI-85 was the standard in my high school). A few months back I reluctantly sold my 48GX, since I haven't used it since undergrad college. I sold it in 2008 for as much as I bought it for back in 1993!

-D

Oh, and in case anybody wants to start a calculator debate (snicker), I contend that the HP 32SII (which I still own) is the best non-graphing scientific calculator ever made. 384 bytes of user memory ftw!

QUOTE (Darren @ Apr 20 2009, 11:56 PM)

I still contend the 48G series was the best graphing scientific calculator ever made (always bugged me that TI-85 was the standard in my high school).

I agree! Still use my HP. Once you get used to it there is no going back.

QUOTE (Kevin Payne @ Apr 21 2009, 04:33 AM)

I have my own museum of calculators that includes a slide rule (with slider and original instructions!) and what I concider the oldest "Pocket Calculator" since that is what its label says. It is a pocket book titled "Pocket Calculator" filled with tables of sums and products. Need to multiply two numbers?, look up the two numbers and adjust the decimal place.

Ben

QUOTE (Darren @ Apr 20 2009, 08:56 PM)

Awesome! I had an engraved name plate on my 48GX! I still contend the 48G series was the best graphing scientific calculator ever made (always bugged me that TI-85 was the standard in my high school). A few months back I reluctantly sold my 48GX, since I haven't used it since undergrad college. I sold it in 2008 for as much as I bought it for back in 1993!

I could have written the exact same post (except I sold mine in 2007 for more than I paid for it in 1993). The GX's are apparently still in high demand among land surveyors because they have some custom software that runs on them.

Somewhere there exists a video of me and a friend at a high-school pep assembly holding our 48GX's up to the microphone so the entire school can hear how we programmed the schools fight song into our calculators. It was a big hit...to our reputations. I wrote a note sequencer and my friend entered the song in a note,duration format.

QUOTE (TobyD @ Apr 21 2009, 10:05 AM)

It was a big hit...to our reputations.

That's hilarious. Man, this is so cool that there's HP calculator zealots here. I guess it goes with the territory, though...you guys all have impeccable taste in programming language, so it only makes sense that you'd all like the best calculators too. ;)

-D

QUOTE (Darren @ Apr 21 2009, 10:17 AM)

That's hilarious. Man, this is so cool that there's HP calculator zealots here. I guess it goes with the territory, though...you guys all have impeccable taste in programming language, so it only makes sense that you'd all like the best calculators too. ;)

-D

I am proud to admit that I bucked the geek train and refused to use an HP calculator in college. I had a Casio FX-6300G (http://www.rskey.org/detail.asp?manufacturer=Casio&model=fx-6300G).

QUOTE (TobyD @ Apr 21 2009, 11:05 AM)

Somewhere there exists a video of me and a friend at a high-school pep assembly holding our 48GX's up to the microphone so the entire school can hear how we programmed the schools fight song into our calculators. It was a big hit...to our reputations. I wrote a note sequencer and my friend entered the song in a note,duration format.

:worship: And here people thought I was the big geek in high school when I programed my TI-82 to use unreal numbers.

the FX6300G was actually already a pretty advanced calculating machine. i can guess your young age from it!

It was also pretty sleek for its time. I got myself a Sharp, EL9300 with added memory and an equation solver. still use it sometimes, and have some cool programs still in there...

I still have mine with the original box (a bit battered though) and all the documentations that came with it. Additionally I have 2 extensions card in it (32 and 128k).

post-121-1240336101.png?width=400

If I were to sell it I seriously doubt I would make money. I bough it in France and it was very expensive at the time.

Oh, and I also still have a C64 (sadly no longer functioning, although I believe the floppy drive is still working).

PJM

QUOTE (Justin Goeres @ Apr 20 2009, 02:50 PM)

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the difference between a geek and a dork.

QUOTE (gmart @ Apr 21 2009, 12:01 PM)

I am proud to admit that I bucked the geek train and refused to use an HP calculator in college.

I'm with you gmart - I had a Casio when I was at uni, but my major was Physics and we were expected to do all the math in our heads :( I've still got it, and use it in the office all the time:

FX-350ES-_1604.jpg

Oh yeah!

...although I'm not sure what an unnatural display would look like.

Of all the 1% of 1% of people on this earth who are pilots, I'm probably 1% of those that has actually used the whiz-wheel as a general purpose calculator.

Think slide rule but wrapped around in a circle. Setup a ratio and look for the value you want to multiply by and look above it (or below it based on perspective) and you have your answer (w/ some decimal shifting).

Also flip it over and you can do trig with the wind speed angle correction insert.

Heck, it's so smart it's not even a calculator.... it's a computer ;)

e6b.jpg

QUOTE (Darren @ Apr 21 2009, 11:26 AM)

I was engineering student. That feature never worked for me ;) .

QUOTE (crelf @ Apr 21 2009, 01:27 PM)

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the difference between a geek and a dork.

I'm with you gmart - I had a Casio when I was at uni, but my major was Physics and we were expected to do all the math in our heads
:(
I've still got it, and use it in the office all the time:

Oh yeah!

...although I'm not sure what an unnatural display would look like.

I think I have calculator envy :thumbup: . Down with reverse Polish notation!