Compile for cRIO (FPGA and RT) without unit present

Tim_S

I've got a customer that is very remote (how many miles are between Detroit and Brazil?) who needs an update of the code on the cRIO system we provided them as part of the test stand. I can make the updates to the FPGA and RT portions, but tech support tells me I can't compile them without the physical unit. The only cRIO we bought shipped with the test stand. I'd like to be able to compile the update to the cRIO without having an identical system on my desk.

Tim

QUOTE (Tim_S @ Apr 21 2009, 08:30 PM)

... I'd like to be able to compile the update to the cRIO without having an identical system on my desk...

Tim,

Maybe I'm missing something, but we have compiled many updates for our remote systems (even more remote than Detroit - Brazil), without the actual units.

Compilation has been done both for the RT parts as well as the FPGA.

Have you tried to build the rtexe and compile the bit files on your local machine?

Do you get any errors during the builds?

/J

QUOTE (JFM @ Apr 21 2009, 02:46 PM)

Have you tried to build the rtexe and compile the bit files on your local machine?

Do you get any errors during the builds?

/J

I haven't tried compiling yet. I called NI tech support to try and "get my ducks in a row" before trying this. Support put me on hold to discuss my questions and was informed I couldn't compile without the physical unit. Have I been mislead?

Tim

QUOTE (Tim_S @ Apr 21 2009, 09:03 PM)

I haven't tried compiling yet. I called NI tech support to try and "get my ducks in a row" before trying this. Support put me on hold to discuss my questions and was informed I couldn't compile without the physical unit. Have I been mislead?

Tim

I very much believe so, but again, I might be missing something in your setup.

If you have the LabVIEW project correctly setup, you can compile the FPGA code using your local machine as compile server.

I'm at home at the moment, and I just tried a compilation on a virtual FPGA setup, running in a VirtualMachine (within VirtualBox on an iMac). This worked as expected.

/J

QUOTE (Tim_S @ Apr 21 2009, 02:30 PM)

I've got a customer that is very remote (how many miles are between Detroit and Brazil?) who needs an update of the code on the cRIO system we provided them as part of the test stand. I can make the updates to the FPGA and RT portions, but tech support tells me I can't compile them without the physical unit. The only cRIO we bought shipped with the test stand. I'd like to be able to compile the update to the cRIO without having an identical system on my desk.

Tim

Give the Livonia office a call they might have a cRIO you can borrow