installing TortoiseSVN 1.6.1 slowed windows explorer alot !

Hi all,

I've just upgraded from TortoiseSVN 1.6.0 to 1.6.1, then restarted my computer and now my windows explorer will take between 5 and 10 seconds just to open a folder...

If then I open the task manager and kill the process "TSVNCache.exe" windows explorer goes back to normal speed.

I started using TortoiseSVN only a month ago so I don't have alot of experience with it and I'm a bit scared now.. Anyone has the same behaviour ?

QUOTE (Antoine Châlons @ Apr 24 2009, 01:12 AM)

I've just upgraded from TortoiseSVN 1.6.0 to 1.6.1, then restarted my computer and now my windows explorer will take between 5 and 10 seconds just to open a folder...

If then I open the task manager and kill the process "TSVNCache.exe" windows explorer goes back to normal speed.

I started using TortoiseSVN only a month ago so I don't have alot of experience with it and I'm a bit scared now.. Anyone has the same behaviour ?

I googled "tortoise 1.6.1 performance" and the mailing list archives from earlier this week show that there is some kind of problem with the latest build. You could either pitch in and help them debug it or else roll back to 1.6.0.

I have used it for a couple years without any major problems. Long ago it was really slow, but then the cache was rewritten and it got a lot better (until last week, I guess). Anyway, don't give up!

QUOTE (Antoine Châlons @ Apr 24 2009, 01:12 AM)

I'm still at 1.5.9, but thanks for the heads up!

Perforce has a plugin for Windows Explorer as well. It installs automatically. I now do not install it since one of the early releases had a problem hanging my computer when the server was down. Anything that integrates to Explorer that can connect to a remote server is asking for trouble in my book. Of course that's how Tortoise works (and has worked fine for many releases) but I'm still leery of Explorer plugins.

I am still at 1.5.2.

In the past I noticed that the cache will go crazy on occasion (especially when you have a lot of code in a folder). I always keep an handy shortcut to a bat file that has the following "taskkill /f /im TSVNCache.exe".

Note: I don't believe I used this recently (for sure not in the last 6 months if not longer).

QUOTE (gmart @ Apr 24 2009, 07:41 PM)

Of course that's how Tortoise works

It doesn't as far as I know. The cache is fully local (the code is always checked out and you have a local copy to revert to or diff against) and I assume TSVN doesn't attempt any sort of connection to the server until you initiate a relevant action. I didn't check this, but it makes sense and I never had a problem when working with my disconnected laptop. This local cache is one of the reasons I like Subversion so much, as it makes working with LabVIEW code very fast, as compared to VSS, for instance, and allows you to see the modified files immediately.

I've uninstalled and re-installed TSVN 1.6.1 and it seems to be better.

Once a while, when my windows explorer starts being slow I run a batch file containing this :

@echo offtaskkill /f /im TSVNCache.exestart TSVNCache.exe

and it's fine again.

[EDIT]

I'm just thinking now... maybe it's not really a good idea to do that.. anyone knows if it could affect the operation of TVSN and screw things around?

QUOTE (Antoine Châlons @ Apr 27 2009, 05:17 AM)

I'm just thinking now... maybe it's not really a good idea to do that.. anyone knows if it could affect the operation of TVSN and screw things around?

I suspect you are fine. AFAIK, TSVNCache is just a performance enhancement. It's job is to keep all the SVN glyphs on your icons accurate, so that if you change one file five subfolders down, then all if its parents in any open Explorer window will change their glyphs to show they've been modified. It's all about the icons and has nothing to do with your data or your working copy except for monitoring the status. I don't see how killing it could cause any problem except the icons are slower to update or fail to refresh themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (Antoine Châlons @ May 13 2009, 01:17 AM)

Version 1.6.2 is out and the http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=681520' rel='nofollow' target="_blank">change log says :

[...]

- BUG: Segfault in TSVNCache. (Stefan)

[...]

- BUG: Deadlock in the TSVNCache.exe process. (Stefan)

So hopefully this issue has been solved.. will let you know.

I upgraded from 1.5.9 to 1.6.2 yesterday. So far I haven't had any issues.