LAVA NI-Week 2009 T-Shirt Design Contest

crelf

Due to the overwhelming success of the LAVA NI-Week 2008 T-Shirt Design Contest last year, we're doing it again this year!

Submit your design ideas for the LAVA NI-Week 2009 t-shirt, and two lucky winners will have their designs printed and available for sale in the LAVAStore so everyone can be part of the Cool-Crowd at NI-Week 2009 when you're sporting this team t-shirt, and instantly recognize kindred spirits drinking spirits on 6th Street...

You don't have to be a great artist to enter the competition - even if you have a rough sketch of your desgin, our professional graphic artists can mould it into a print-quality work of art. You can make it themed so that it ties into NIWeek 2009 if you want, but this is not a requirement. Just like last year, we'll have a popular vote online to choose the front and back designs of the t-shirt (so you have 2 chances to win!) and then is will be available in the LAVA Store so you can get your orders in well before NI-Week*. The winning design will also appear on caps, stickers, mugs and several other promotional items at NI-Week.

The base color of this year's t-shirt will be maroon (that's roughly R=90, G=30 & B=40 on the unsigned 8-bit integer RGB scale for you tech-heads that just have to know), and will look kinda like this:

post-181-1240678215.png?width=400

So get involved - It's super easy to submit your entry. Just attach an image to this thread you are currently reading. That's it. LAVA will take care of the rest. You can submit as many designs as you wish. If you're looking for inspiration, have a wander through last year's submissions here.

* There was a small sizing issue (pun intended) last year, so make sure you order yours early so you can exchange it for something different before NI-Week if you need to.

• 2 weeks later...

So here are my propositions for t-shirts.

This is for the front side:

post-7450-1241597918.png?width=400

As you can see I played a little bit with LabVIEW logo and turned it to something with "lavability".

In case when word "LAVA" made of wires is not too readable, I prepared alternate version:

post-7450-1241597943.png?width=400

And this is for the back side (as suggested in this thread):

post-7450-1241597929.png?width=400

This is loose variation around Amnesty International logo. As I am not a native English speaker, I'm not so sure what is an exact impression of this slogan. Please feel free to suggest something that sounds better.

SVG sources avaiable for request. No bitmaps are used, everything is nicely scalable.

• Like 2

QUOTE (Antoine Châlons @ May 6 2009, 11:08 AM)

QUOTE (crelf @ Apr 25 2009, 07:11 PM)

... You can make it themed so that it ties into NIWeek 2009 if you want, but this is not a requirement.

And besides this, it is hard to design graphics for event I have no idea about. Also I won't have a chance to take part in NIWeek, so I decided to design something more general.

I used Inkscape - the great open source vector graphics application. Maybe it is little bit slow, but at current stage it is even comparable to Adobe Illustrator which is top of the topest.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Due to popular demand, I'm extending the deadline for submissions for this year's LAVA NI-Week T-Shirt Design Contest to 5pm US PST on Wednesday the 10th of June, 2009. That's only a week and a half away, so you better get designing!

QUOTE (crelf @ Jun 1 2009, 10:58 AM)

Due to popular demand, I'm extending the deadline for submissions for this year's LAVA NI-Week T-Shirt Design Contest to 5pm US PST on Wednesday the 10th of June, 2009. That's only a week and a half away, so you better get designing!

Only 5 days to go! Don't forget to burn up some of your weekend idle time putting a design together :)

• 3 weeks later...

I love vugie's design for the t-shirt, but the back is a little out of date since NI has, indeed, freed the imprisoned properties (well, most of 'em). So here's my suggestion for the back of the t-shirt (thanks to justin goeres for the avatars and alpha editing assistance!):

post-181-124657215354_thumb.png

Like last year, it's a play on the NI-Week theme, but with our top posters' avatars - here's a zoomed-in section:

post-181-12465722494_thumb.png

Since we're running out of time, unless there are any strong objections, I'll set the t-shirt up in the LAVAStore in the next few days - vugie's design on the front and this one on the back.

• Like 1

Since we're running out of time, unless there are any strong objections, I'll set the t-shirt up in the LAVAStore in the next few days - vugie's design on the front and this one on the back.

Well, heck...I won't be able to go this year, but I'd buy one! thumbup1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I love vugie's design for the t-shirt, but the back is a little out of date since NI has, indeed, freed the imprisoned properties (well, most of 'em). So here's my suggestion for the back of the t-shirt (thanks to justin goeres for the avatars and alpha editing assistance!):

post-181-124657215354_thumb.png

Like last year, it's a play on the NI-Week theme, but with our top posters' avatars - here's a zoomed-in section:

post-181-12465722494_thumb.png

Can we order the shirts Yet?

We're only a few weeks away from NI WEEK.

There seems to be a slight problem... My order was cancelled because the design supposedly contains copyrighted material.

See excerpt of email received from zazzle:

Your entire order has been cancelled; all of the items in your order will not be shipped.

A refund for the full amount of your order has been issued to your credit card/PayPal account. We apologize for any disappointment or inconvenience this may have caused.

For these reasons, we were unable to process your original order:

Title: LAVA NI-Week 2009 T-Shirt

Product Link: 235307709355378088

Result: Not Approved

Content Issues:

--- Design contains an image or text that is copyrighted

post-181-124760639613_thumb.png

After much anticipation, the LAVA NI-Week 2009 T-Shirt is now available! Buy yours in the

LAVA Store here.

The back decoration is not the same in your post and on zazzle... :-o

I imagine this is, as François reported, because zazzle automatically put the front decoration on the back because the back image was found to be copyright protected..

I imagine this is, as François reported, because zazzle automatically put the front decoration on the back because the back image was found to be copyright protected..

Was somebody's avatar a copyright/trademark violation? It all seems to be fair use to me.

The front and back are not the same, although they are similar. I'll wait for a confirmation by Chris before completing the form again...

There seems to be a slight problem... My order was cancelled because the design supposedly contains copyrighted material.
Was somebody's avatar a copyright/trademark violation? It all seems to be fair use to me.
The front and back are not the same, although they are similar. I'll wait for a confirmation by Chris before completing the form again...

Yep, the short story is that Zazzle wouldn't print the design from the back of the shirt due to copyright violations (the guy I spoke to seemed to be particularly highlighting those avatars that use Disney™ characters. So, late last night, Mike and I decided to take swift executive action and replace the back design with the modified awesome vugie design (I wanted to put spoolie on there, but I was over-ruled :P ). So, I'm sorry for the confusion, but you should be okay to order the new version of the t-shirt now.

Thanks for the update. I heard so many things (rumors, rants) about Disney's copyright legal enforcements that I can understand they're a little frigid... biggrin.gif

To be clear, it wasn't just about the Disney™ characters, the Zazzle guy I spoke mentioned several infringements.