Event when starting to edit a string control?

Hello fellows,

I'd like to have an event fired as soon as the user clicks into a string control to start editing it... the idea is that everytime the user starts to edit this control, the windows virtual on-screen keyboard shall be launched, because the user has problems with typing on the small keyboard....

Is this event available? I tried "Mouse Enter" and "Mouse Leave", but this doesn't really fit.

Any ideas?

Sabine Lorentz

QUOTE (professor_rumsdiegeige @ Apr 29 2009, 09:04 AM)

Hello fellows,

I'd like to have an event fired as soon as the user clicks into a string control to start editing it... the idea is that everytime the user starts to edit this control, the windows virtual on-screen keyboard shall be launched, because the user has problems with typing on the small keyboard....

Is this event available? I tried "Mouse Enter" and "Mouse Leave", but this doesn't really fit.

Any ideas?

Sabine Lorentz

I think the "mouse up" event will do the job.

hope this helps

QUOTE (professor_rumsdiegeige @ Apr 29 2009, 11:24 AM)

Is there, in general, a description available of the individual events? Or is it try-and-error?

If you right click the event structure and select Help, it will open the LabVIEW help, which includes a listing of all the events (there aren't that many).

Here are two other ideas:

One is to enable "update while typing" on the string control. Then you will get the value changed event after the first letter. Maybe not quite what you want but easy to do.

The other is to cover the string with a transparent boolean. When the user clicks the boolean (thinking they will click into the string underneath), you hide the boolean (visible=F), set the string's Key Focus to true, and then show the virtualkeyboard. Whenever the virtual keyboard goes away, you make the transparent boolean 'visible' again.