Steer by Wire

Hai everybody,

I wish you all very well.

Thanks for viewing my post.

I really new to the LabVIEW. Maybe a week I just knew it. Before this I only use the Matlab/Simulink.

Since I knew about LabVIEW, I really want to try it.

Currently I develop a steer by wire system.

The system was like this, there is an angle encoder at the steering wheel, when the driver turns the steering wheel, the angle encoder will send a input signal to the controller, and controller will drive a stepper motor to actuated the wheel system and turn the wheel according to the steering input. There is also LVDT sensor at the wheel to measure it movement. So I can make the system in the close loop.

I really dont know how to intergrate my system with the LabVIEW.

I also don't know whether my hardware are compatible with the LabVIEW since I not using the National Instrument product, I use a 2-phase stepper motor and its driver from Oriental Motor.

Can I use other motion controller than NI?

And can I know the benefit using the LabVIEW rather than using the Matlab/Simulink. I just find the GUI of LV was more user friendly so I interested to learn it.

Edited by argosta

I really new to the LabVIEW. Maybe a week I just knew it...

Currently I develop a steer by wire system...

I really dont know how to intergrate my system with the LabVIEW.

This is a pretty complex project for someone brand new to Labview. Be aware that you'll likely run into all sorts of problems that don't have anything to do with the core functionality of your program.

I also don't know whether my hardware are compatible with the LabVIEW since I not using the National Instrument product, I use a 2-phase stepper motor and its driver from Oriental Motor.

Can I use other motion controller than NI?

Yes, you can use non-NI hardware with Labview. If Oriental Motor supplies an api and documentation for their controllers (usually a dll) you can call into the dll from Labview.

Most of the Oriental Motor controllers I've seen have a serial (RS-232) interface. Check with them, they might have Labview drivers already. If not, check the NI Instrument Driver network. Sometimes you get lucky there. You can also write your own interface code as well, which is a really important Labview skill to learn.

You're jumping into the Labview deep end on this project, but I you can make it work it will be a good experience.

And can I know the benefit using the LabVIEW rather than using the Matlab/Simulink. I just find the GUI of LV was more user friendly so I interested to learn it.

Argosta,

My opinion here is of courses biased, as a LabVIEW Product Manager, but I'll hopefully provide some insight nonetheless.

You are quite right that the GUI of LabVIEW is more user friendly. However, the advantages of using LabVIEW extend far beyond just the ease-of-use of the GUI. The power of the GUI comes really comes into play when you connect your applications to hardware. Being able to visualize the results of your application in-line with the data that you are acquiring or hardware you are controlling helps you to connect what is going on in the real-world with that of your LabVIEW application. Secondly, the LabVIEW compiler simplifies development by providing edit-time feedback on errors in your application, and abstracting typical programming tasks such as variable instantiation, memory and thread management, and performance optimizations through the ordering of code execution. Also, the graphical approach to programming (we believe) helps to align more with the natural way an engineer would express his/her thoughts or lay out the solution to a problem. Code parallelism is much easier to visualize graphically than in serial text-based text.

MATLAB does have its benefits, and I'm not here to shoot that down. The .m file language is a highly-abstract language, and simplifies many tasks, such as not having to declare variable types, no compiling, etc. Most linear algebra and matrix-style operations are easier, faster, and more naturally expressed in the .m file implementation. One of the benefits of LabVIEW is the MathScript RT Module, which provides a native compiler for your custom .m files within the LabVIEW environment. That gives you the ability to bring most .m files that you have already created into the LabVIEW diagram, and deploy them as part of your application.

I'd be happy to provide more information if you're interested!

Regards,

Jeff

• 4 months later...

Hi NI_Eagle,

Glad to hear from you..

thanks you..

Currently, I do not have any idea what is the first thing to do in order to start develop my HIL system in LabView.

Can you guide my, please?

any help file I need to go through.

I really need your help so I can convince my supervisor to implement LabView system at my University..

thanks..

Hi NI_Eagle,

Glad to hear from you..

thanks you..

Currently, I do not have any idea what is the first thing to do in order to start develop my HIL system in LabView.

Can you guide my, please?

any help file I need to go through.

I really need your help so I can convince my supervisor to implement LabView system at my University..

thanks..

Argosta,

Answering such a question would involve much more detail that I feel like this single post could entail. I would really encourage you to visit this page:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/10864

This link will take you to page where you can schedule a personal "online visit" with one of our Applications Engineers, who can get you started with the LabVIEW environment, and personalize the demo to fit your needs.

Regards,

Jeff