Labview over soundcard

n00bzor

Hey, i have a couple of questions, maybe you guys can awnser them :

1. What maximum voltage should i expect out of a sound card (i'm thinking 12v depending on the wave)

2. Maximum amperage (no idea, also thinking it depends on the wave, i need a maximum of 10mA to switch three optocouplers)

3. How exactly should i generate a waveform to obtain a certain voltage? Is the amplitude of the signal the same as the voltage?

Thank you in advance.

QUOTE (n00bzor @ May 25 2009, 10:03 AM)

Hey, i have a couple of questions, maybe you guys can awnser them :

1. What maximum voltage should i expect out of a sound card (i'm thinking 12v depending on the wave)

2. Maximum amperage (no idea, also thinking it depends on the wave, i need a maximum of 10mA to switch three optocouplers)

3. How exactly should i generate a waveform to obtain a certain voltage? Is the amplitude of the signal the same as the voltage?

Thank you in advance.

You should really look at the specs for the given sound card. Generally, they'll only produce enough power to drive a set of headphones (.5-2Vp-p). What exactly are you trying to do? (Beyond destroying a perfectly good soundcard :oops: )

Obviously, cost is an issue for your project, but if you more some more specifics maybe someone here can guide you to cost effective solution. Perhaps using a parallel port (one of those USB adaptor kind if need be) or $10 demo module from ftdichip.com would be more appropriate.

~Dan

QUOTE (Dan DeFriese @ May 27 2009, 01:59 AM)

You should really look at the specs for the given sound card. Generally, they'll only produce enough power to drive a set of headphones (.5-2Vp-p). What exactly are you trying to do? (Beyond destroying a perfectly good soundcard :oops: )

Obviously, cost is an issue for your project, but if you more some more specifics maybe someone here can guide you to cost effective solution. Perhaps using a parallel port (one of those USB adaptor kind if need be) or $10 demo module from ftdichip.com would be more appropriate.

~Dan

The soundcard is a really cheap one, somewhere in the 10-15$ range, i don't really understand how using a parallel port to usb would help. I'm trying to run a transistor circuit/optocoupler circuit, i've already tried everything and i think the main problem is the 6009's power output on the digital ports (on analog it controls the circuits perfectly). Problem is that i need 5 control lines out of the daq, and i only have 2, so some form of multiplexing isn't an option also.

QUOTE (n00bzor @ May 27 2009, 02:55 PM)

i've already tried everything

Impossible! It doesn't work yet.

Post what you've tried.

and i think the main problem is the 6009's power output on the digital ports (on analog it controls the circuits perfectly). Problem is that i need 5 control lines out of the daq, and i only have 2, so some form of multiplexing isn't an option also.

Are you saying that you have one of those NI-USB-6009 DAQ gizmos? Are your optocouplers really drawing 10mA (This is 2x the rating of the 6009 analog outputs so I'm puzzled.) What is the part number for your optocoupler? Maybe provide a drawing of your setup? Is an external power source available to power a simple transistor amplifier stage between the 6009 and opto. Maybe this could be powered with the 5V 200mA power source from the 6009 itself?

~Dan