Using sub-panels to create child windows.

With all this talk lately of subpanels and how they compare to "true" child windows, I decided to see if i could create this same effect with the new sub-panels in LV7.

In the LabVIEW examples, there is a VI that shows how you can dynamically register events and click+drag a front panel object. Using this same approach, I tried to do the same with subpanels. The only drawback is that when you register the subpanel event, you lose the ability to click on the subpaneled VI.

I thought it would be nicer if you were limited to dragging the titlebar (just like child windows). I then proceeded to edit the subpanel frame and make it "look" like it had a titlebar. Oops, editing the sub-panel frame is forbidden! I then decided to embed the subpanel in a cluster along with a boolean. the boolean would simulate the titlebar. This approach seems to work well. The only thing left to do is track when the mouse is on the edge of the cluster and perform resizing (like child windows).

Too bad resizing subpanels and dragging isn't automatic. :roll:

parent-child.gif

Download File:post-15-1073110865.llb

• 1 year later...

I have recently encountered a similar problem with events on a top level that also contains a subpanel. I am losing the ability to click in a subpaneled VI after an event has occurred in the top level.

I have tried my code in LabView 7.1 and the problem still exists; is this possibly fixed in LabView 7.1.1? If not, has anyone found a work around? For me, Subpanels really lose their usefullness if suddenly you can no longer interact with the SubVI running in it.

I appreciate any feedback.