Read an ".ini" file and create a certain icon, by using the information given in the ".ini" file.

Hi,

I would like to read an ".ini" file, collect all the information given in a certain section and create an icon or vi from it, with the given amount of inputs outputs etc.. The shape of the icon can be pre-designed with the icon editor or paint.net etc., I just need the connection between the information in the "ini" and the creation of the vi or icon in my ui.

The goal of the operation is, to have the ini-file displayed graphically not in text form, to make it easyer for the user to find an certain object.

To be more precise, I need a VI or funktion that creates an icon on the Front Panel.

Do you really want to create the icon or just display the icon on the front panel? I'm guessing that it is enough to display the icons, so my answers is based on that.

There are a number of ways to display pictures in labview, it all depends on how you want the user to see the different items.

If you have predefined icons, you can use a picture control to display the pictures.

You can also display a set of custom icons in a listbox, multicolumn listbox or tree control (limited to 16 by16 pixels).

If you don't need too change the pictures at runtime, you can use the picture ring control to display the different pictures.

If it is enough to have static pictures on the FP, you can just copy-paste pictures from Windows directly on the FP

/J

I need a VI or funktion that creates one ore more icons or some editable object on the active Front Panel, depending on a number evaluated by the running VI.

As I come closer to the actual problem I try to specify it in a better way. If somebody can give me a hint, wether the description is to poor or has an idea how to deal with this problem, it would be great

Mike

sorry you were answering while I was writing the reply. Thanks a lot. I will try these solutions.

Mike

Edited by Michael