Tree control bug

Mike C

Hello everybody. I just wanted to metion a confirmed bug from NI. I was having problems displaying over 2000 items in a tree. When I contacted NI I received the following response:

"Thank you for contacting National Instruments.

There is a bug in the Tree Control that limits the number of displayable

items in the tree to 1933 items. However it is important to note that this

is simply the displayed items. You can safely have thousands of items in

the tree, however if there are more then 1933 items displayed, it stops

displaying the new items.

This bug has reported to R&D and it will be fixed on next version"

I hope this helps anyone that run into this.

It depends on whether you are using the tree control to store the data or display it. For example the tree example that ships with LabVIEW takes directory and first reads every file and sub directory and then adds to a tree. Here they are storing the entire directory structure in a tree (which takes a very long time). I wrote a tree control utility that only fetches the items as they are needed. So in my tree I only get the files and directories of the top level directory and when the user expands on a directory, then I get its contents and add to the tree. So in this case I can browse C:\ which has well over 1933 items but the tree control only contains the items that are being viewed. The tree never contains all the data, just what needs to be displayed.

I don't have time right now, but hopefully I can post an example if it would help.

• 3 months later...
It would be very helpfull if you did.

I have an application that is available for free called DataAct Class Browser for LabVIEW that uses the technique I described. The full source is included which also includes some other examples for the tree control such as using the tree symbols. Sorry it took so long, but better late than never.