Dynamic Data "Signal Name"

The Dynamic Data Type (aka. DDT) is intended to provide an abstraction from the data type for Express users, but in doing so, often tends to make things unnecessarily confusing when you're trying to manipulate things that aren't quite so standard.

I believe what you'd want to do is convert your DDT to an array of waveforms using the Convert From Dynamic Data, then find your signal in that array and use the "Set Waveform Attribute" to set the "NI_ChannelName" attribute (it's just a string) to whatever you want. Then convert back to DDT when you're done.

Any waveform data type has a set of "attributes", it's just not shown on the front panel control / indicator by default. You can turn it on using visible items fly-out menu.

Hope this helps!

The Dynamic Data Type (aka. DDT) is intended to provide an abstraction from the data type for Express users, but in doing so, often tends to make things unnecessarily confusing when you're trying to manipulate things that aren't quite so standard.

I believe what you'd want to do is convert your DDT to an array of waveforms using the Convert From Dynamic Data, then find your signal in that array and use the "Set Waveform Attribute" to set the "NI_ChannelName" attribute (it's just a string) to whatever you want. Then convert back to DDT when you're done.

Any waveform data type has a set of "attributes", it's just not shown on the front panel control / indicator by default. You can turn it on using visible items fly-out menu.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Jeff, that's what I afraid I would have to do. I thought maybe there was a function to set this name like the Set waveform attribute function for waveforms.

Ed

Thanks Jeff, that's what I afraid I would have to do. I thought maybe there was a function to set this name like the Set waveform attribute function for waveforms.

Ed

There are some helper functions in LabVIEW that are not (but should be) on the palette. Jeff, if you are still reading this thread, you might want to re-address this in the LabVIEW group. :oops: I know that they did not fit well with the desires for the Express palette and therefore were not included there, but they should be included somewhere in the palettes (especially since the restructuring).

LabVIEW/vi.lib/express/express shared/transtion.llb has several VIs that are used in the Express VIs to manipulate the DDT attributes. Give the VIs in this llb a shot. :D

Hope that this helps,

Bob Young

There are some helper functions in LabVIEW that are not (but should be) on the palette. Jeff, if you are still reading this thread, you might want to re-address this in the LabVIEW group. :oops: I know that they did not fit well with the desires for the Express palette and therefore were not included there, but they should be included somewhere in the palettes (especially since the restructuring).

LabVIEW/vi.lib/express/express shared/transtion.llb has several VIs that are used in the Express VIs to manipulate the DDT attributes. Give the VIs in this llb a shot. :D

Hope that this helps,

Bob Young

Thanks Bob, next time I see you, I owe you a beer. :beer: :D

These VI's do just what Jeff said to do, they're just already built for you and have all the correct waveform attributes spelled out so you don't have to remember them. Pretty handy.

Ed