Installation Error

Since the patch kit became available I decided that it was time to finally open the old boxes and try out 8 but I cannot get the darned thing to even begin to install. NI thinks it's a bad CD. But I just downloaded the demo version and that does the same thing. Oh well, back into the support queue I go...

post-2800-1142287271.png?width=400

• 1 month later...
This seems a piracy issue, otherwise Labview 8 does not seem to behave like this.

M Ali Amir;

What do you mean? Are you saying that you think that this is not a valid copy of LabVIEW?

The way I understand it, all copies of LabVIEW are valid. If you don't have a good serial number, the activation will fail and you will be limited to a 30 day demo version. If he is installing from boxed CDs or from a downloaded installer, it should at least install.

As for the original problem, I am not sure how to fix this. Just make sure that virus scan has been run fairly recently and is not running while trying to install. Surface scan of the hard drive, clean up the registry, un-install the previous bad one before trying to re-install, etc. I am sure most of this was tried.

Bob Young

This problem appears due to hidden registry entries which do not wipe off even after completely uninstalling the package.

No registry cleaning tool can repair or removes these entries from the system therefore these need to be manually removed to correct this problem. Anyway before proceeding for manual operation, please clean the registry by using any appropriate tool and make a backup of your registry.

There are possibly two solutions to correct this problem on a Win 2k machine, I have not yet tried it for Win XP;

1. Use Registry Monitoring Tool to watch "Setup.exe" accessing the registry before running into crash. Deleting all of these entries one by one will enable setup.exe to run without crashing.

2. Use windows Regedit .exe, Open the File Setup.ini on disk one, in Notepad and take note of the section [Parts], these are 64 msi files.

Now browse through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Classes > Installer > Products, Here you can see several Keys (each 32 chracter wide alpha numerical string) and find all of the msi files in these keys (in Product Name Field) one by one, if they are found, delete the complete key. Please note that deleting irrelevant key can cause a serious problem in other software.

Just a few of these keys actually are required to be deleted to get rid of this problem.

I would recommend to use any suitable registry monitor tool instead of manually editing the keys.

Cheers ! :)