XControl - Global Variable communication problem

Hi,

I have a problem in communicating with global variables correctly using XControls.

BACKGROUND ON THE TASK:

- We have some global variables that store data dynamically (arrays of clusters)

- Over time, the status of several variables is retrieved from our proprietary database and is written into these global variables using other processes.

- We have XControls (among others) that react to this data. These variables are the stimuli for the XControls' appearance.

ISSUE:

- The XControls are not reading the dynamic data but instead the initial static data from the global variables

- Upon stepping through the execution, we realised that in fact it seems like another instance of the global variables is being created for the XControls separate from the one that all the normal VIs are sharing.

RESOLUTION:

- I was thus forced to abandon the usage of the global variables for the XControl (the global variables still exist since they are being used system-wide)

- I had to expand the data control for the XControl and send in the whole clunky set of arrays of clusters into the inputs so that i could use the data

PROBLEM:

- Since, for each one of these XControls, a new copy of the arrays of clusters will be created - the usage of many XControls in the system could cause system slow down => performance dip. Ours is a Real Time System and upon complete implementation, it could prove to be a costly problem.

- Is there any way around this?

Thanks so much.