Group objects by some super-class

I am starting to cut my teeth on this scripting business. Many thanks already for the vast store of knowledge here. With some more time and experience, I may actually be able to contribute to this forum. Currently I just ready the posts and I am awed by all the Uber G Geeks here. :worship:

I have seen some posts about generating the class tree dynamically, and such. Rather than create the whole tree, is there a way to bring the current class to some level in the tree? (without the tree, I know... :rolleyes: ) Selection lists give an array of GObj references. These each can tell you their class name. I want to group objects that belong to a common super-class in the hierarchy.

The reason I ask is the only way I have imagined and implemented thus far is to cast these GObj references to the super-classes I am interested in and take the one that doesn't give an error. This might be fast, since some types are more common than others, but is there a more elegant way of doing this?

Thanks again,

David

After digging through PJM's Class Hierarchy builder, it seems that there is no such thing as a 'parent class' property. I like the scripting method for determining if a class inherits or not ("Find More Specific Classes"). That technique seems like it would work well.

It seems that if I dig through enough posted example codes I will find most of my answers. :book: Thanks for your inadvertent help, PJM.

David