question on "Type cast"?

The "typecast" has 3 "pin", 1 for input, 1 for output, and the last one for the type that the data trasform into, that's what i've learn from LV Help. But what kind of controls should i connect with the "type" pin? I've seen in the "serial61.vi" that the programmer does not connect any thing to the "type" pin (he use it to convert a number to string) . Another question, so what can i do if i need to do it reversely : convert a string read from serial port to a number. Thans for helping me and excuse my bad English.

The "typecast" has 3 "pin", 1 for input, 1 for output, and the last one for the type that the data trasform into, that's what i've learn from LV Help. But what kind of controls should i connect with the "type" pin? I've seen in the "serial61.vi" that the programmer does not connect any thing to the "type" pin (he use it to convert a number to string) . Another question, so what can i do if i need to do it reversely : convert a string read from serial port to a number. Thans for helping me and excuse my bad English.

The reason they do not have to pass in a type when converting to a string is because a string is the default type to convert to. If you need to convert to anything else, you have to pass in the type. To convert form string to a number you pass in the string on the input and a number into the type (any number...all it needs is the type of the data, it doesn't use the value).