IR or laser beam Interruption detection

Hatz

hi there all ,

i need to perform a simple test for the first part of my project.

i need to be able to pass my hand through a Transmitter/reciever of some sort and Labview has to recognise that i have interupted the beam.

can anyone help me with regards to of any code that can register this on LABview.

ideally i would like to have a TIMER start..then STOP when an IR or Laser beam is Interrupted.

any help or advice is appreciated

regards

Hatz

London

I'm guessing that this is a school work project. So, I am not giving you an answer, but I will try to lead you to one.

If you want to break a beam and trigger on that, you will need several things: A beam, a beam receptor, and something that will be triggered.

For the beam, I have used a laser diode (beam) and photovoltaic cell (receptor) with success before. You will notice a difference on the photovoltaic (solar cell) depending on the presence of the laser diode beam.

As for the software, poll for the change and trigger your output (UI?) based on the "correct change".

Let us know if you need more help,

Bob Young

Bob,

thanks for the reply,

i am actually working on a major project at the University of london and i was encouraged to use labView by my project supervisor. i was going to use java but he said that it may be good to learn to use Labview. however i am a complete beginner!

so, i would be greatful if you could help with any code etc as although this is just a part of my project i wont be including it in the final report.

my main aim is timing competitive swimmers and creating a pacing system. however in the meantime i need to prove the concept on land.

thanks for your previous post , i'll read up on the things you mentioned.

kind regards

Hatz

I'm guessing that this is a school work project. So, I am not giving you an answer, but I will try to lead you to one.

If you want to break a beam and trigger on that, you will need several things: A beam, a beam receptor, and something that will be triggered.

For the beam, I have used a laser diode (beam) and photovoltaic cell (receptor) with success before. You will notice a difference on the photovoltaic (solar cell) depending on the presence of the laser diode beam.

As for the software, poll for the change and trigger your output (UI?) based on the "correct change".

Let us know if you need more help,

Bob Young

Bob,

thanks for the reply,

i am actually working on a major project at the University of london and i was encouraged to use labView by my project supervisor. i was going to use java but he said that it may be good to learn to use Labview. however i am a complete beginner!

so, i would be greatful if you could help with any code etc as although this is just a part of my project i wont be including it in the final report.

my main aim is timing competitive swimmers and creating a pacing system. however in the meantime i need to prove the concept on land.

kind regards

Hatz

Hia

Im actually working on a very similar project at university in Dublin, I have used laser pointers and selective photodiodes to generate a voltage and im using labview for the code, did you manage to work out how to use labview to start and stop timing?

Thanks

Annette

Bob,

thanks for the reply,

kind regards

Hatz

Hia

Im actually working on a very similar project at university in Dublin, I have used laser pointers and selective photodiodes to generate a voltage and im using labview for the code, did you manage to work out how to use labview to start and stop timing?

Thanks

Annette

Annette,

i am still working on the hardware side at the moment but i will be interfacing my IR TX n RX through the parallel port of the computer.

i think i will then, when i get onto it, let labview look for a change in signal in the data ports of the parellel port.

this should be enough to allow LabView to start and stop a timer.

im not exactly sure how this is done yet as i am new to labview but when i find out i will be posting so VI's for people to assist me if they can.

thanks

Hatim