How to debug 'remote debugging'?

Since LabVIEW 8 it is possible to remotely debug a labview executable or dll on a client computer over tcp/ip. It seems to be a fantastic feature that is not used by a lot of LV developers (nearly no Google results).

Does anyone has an idea if you need to configure DCOM or Firewall ports for this (cfr. OPC server)?

I have a headless PC and I lost the remote debugging access (no application enumerated on the host)... I suspect a DCOM problem created by Windows update.

Installing LV8.2 is not an option on a flash disk.

If you're seeing the message "No debuggable applications or runtime libraries found", it means you were able to query the target machine for debuggable applications, but the application's debug server did not start successfully. In this case, I would suggest restarting the application.

However, if you get the text message "Failed to lookup debuggable applications or shared libraries", it could mean two things. 1. The National Instruments Service Locator is not started. The Service Locator is used by debuggable applications and other NI services to register their pertinent information for other client applications to look up. You can check and start the Service Locator manually by going to the command prompt and entering "net start nisvcloc". You will need to restart your application after this to make sure it registers with the Service Locator. 2. If after step 1, you see the message "The requested service has already been started", it means the Service Locator was running fine, but the firewall blocked the service locator from opening its listen port. You can configure your firewall to open the port 3580. It is likely that you will also need to configure your firewall to always allow your built application to open any port it needs to allow debug connections.

• 4 weeks later...