Using LabVIEW to run C Projects as a Hardware Target

grmc

Hi all,

I am trying to determine the feasibility of creating a system in LabVIEW 8.20 that can simulate a hardware target.

Basically the idea is to be able to run the C code on the simulator without modification to the C code (apart from the driver layer).

Has anyone attempted anything like this before? I suspect LabVIEW wasn't designed to handle C code in such a way that this would actually work!!

The only way I can think this might work as it stands, is to create a C code interpreter...

Any thoughts? Ideas? Opinions? Better tools to accomplish this?

Glenn

It sounds like you are looking for a "No Hardware" version of your C code with minimal modifications to its operation. I haven't done this for any c projects I've done, but I have done it for LabView projects. If you make all of your hardware calls through a DLL with an API you create, then you can create a DLL to match that API and operate without hardware. This can be useful in debugging parts of the program without hardware, or if you have to access multiple hardware targets. I wouldn't try to create a C parser in LabView, you'll never get it right, and it will always be a question in your debugging process.