3D Active X control problem in built application installer

Hi Folks:

I'm having problems with a Active X CW 3D graph control. Its kind of embarrassing-- I suspect I've had and solved this problem before, but I can't for the life of me remember how.

My Vi works fine in the development environment.

As an .exe on the development environment machine, the program also runs fine.

Copying the .exe to a computer which has another, previously installed application I've written using the 3D control also runs fine.

But when I create an installer, and attempt to install the program on a new machine which has never had any LV applications installed on it previously, the VI does not work properly. I get the message: "Error loading Control. A newer vesion needed. The default settings for the control will be used." The control then does not appear on the front panel, although as far as I can tell the VI otherwiser runs properly.

Right now I'm running version 7.1.1-- Since I had a bad time going to 8.0, I'm holding out till I'm through with this project on going up to 8.2.1

Much thanks in advance to whoever points out what is probably a pretty silly error on my part...

Best Regards, Louis

QUOTE(Louis Manfredi @ Apr 10 2007, 03:33 PM)

Hi Folks:

I'm having problems with a Active X CW 3D graph control. Its kind of embarrassing-- I suspect I've had and solved this problem before, but I can't for the life of me remember how.

My Vi works fine in the development environment.

As an .exe on the development environment machine, the program also runs fine.

Copying the .exe to a computer which has another, previously installed application I've written using the 3D control also runs fine.

But when I create an installer, and attempt to install the program on a new machine which has never had any LV applications installed on it previously, the VI does not work properly. I get the message: "Error loading Control. A newer vesion needed. The default settings for the control will be used." The control then does not appear on the front panel, although as far as I can tell the VI otherwiser runs properly.

Right now I'm running version 7.1.1-- Since I had a bad time going to 8.0, I'm holding out till I'm through with this project on going up to 8.2.1

Much thanks in advance to whoever points out what is probably a pretty silly error on my part...

Best Regards, Louis

The CW3DGRPH.OCX control needs to be updated to the latest version. I don't have the reference for this on the NI site but I'm sure a quick browse will retrieve it for you. By default that component is copied to

c:\windows\system32

and then registered.

Hi Val:

Thanks for the suggestion, that seems to have fixed the problem-- almost. I'm now having a somewhat similar problem:

Runs fine on my machine in development environment. Runs fine on my machine as an .exe.

Runs on other machines, either by copying an .exe to a machine with previously installed application using the control, or by running a full installer, and then manually copying the .ocx file from my machine to the target, then registering it on the target. Except for one problem-- The control is reduced in size by about 50% from the desired size, leaving a lot of blank screen.

A lot of checking I should do, see if there is a later version of the file than that on my machine, check my build settings, etc... but since you were so quick with the suggestion that got me this far, I figured it was worth asking if you can suggest something off the top of your head for going the rest of the way, rather than beat my head against the wall.

Again, great thanks for the help so far, :worship: , and Best Regards, Louis