Need Design Help/Ideas

EJW

I am writing a new program in LV8.2 to replace multiple LabWindows v3 programs.

There are 2 different test stands that share similar functionality.

Using :: PCI 6221 DAQ and 6722 AO card.

Machine 1: Four test stations, 2 motors (1 per 2 stations)

Machine 2: Two test stations, 1 motor for each.

DIO (output): 2 each station for relays - total 4 -- 6722

DIO (input): 3 frequency inputs per station - total 6 -- 6221

Both: Analog Inputs: 2 Strain, 1 thermocouple, 1 accelerometer (per station)

Analog Outputs: 1 for each motor speed control (6221) , 2 for valves (each station, total 8 -- 6722)

DIO (output): 2 for motors, 2 for side enable(2/1 station depending on stand) , 3 each station for valves (12 or 6). -- 6221

DIO (output): 2 for lights 6722

DIO (input): 1 for each side (2 total) -- incoming relay to show power on. 6722

The primary functions of both test stands happen under what is listed as BOTH. Periodically, i fire 2 relays on the smaller stand, and collect frequency input at all times.

Based on the section marked BOTH , i belive there must be a way to control either the 2 station stand or the 4 station stand without writing two programs. The four staion stand has 1 motor that turns 2 stations, the two station stand has a motor for each stand. Both machines have all the same DAQ inputs, with the 2 station stand having 2 extra. And they both control valves at each station, but the 2 station stand has 2 extra valves per station.

Any thoughts on the architecture of this program????

I have a standard state machine started with a parallel while loop that aquires my AI (the important info). Although I do need to add a way to start and stop the AI. I guess I am hung up on the 2 vs 4 station / controlling them both with the same code.

QUOTE(crelf @ Apr 12 2007, 06:31 PM)

Use http://www.ni.com/teststand' target="_blank">TestStand - don't even try to create a custom parallel test executive - you're wasting your time (it can be done sucessfully, but the time you spend on it is better used buying and learning TestStand).

Unfortunately, time is not a resource i have.

The timing sequences for this program are all laid out, and work good, it is just a matter of how best to control the equipment

with minimal code. I can always make it work, I just don't want it to be too ugly.!!!