Invalid Input Parameter when running Executable from Local Drive

This one is throwing me a major loop. Here is what happens:

1) Build executable using OpenG Builder (Version 1.0.0-beta07, Build 311 for those keeping score of such things).

2) Run executable from network drive where build (can change folder, doesn't matter) and I have no problems.

3) Copy Executable to local drive, run, and get following message: "LabVIEW: An input parameter is invalid. The file " is not a valid LabVIEW file."

After clicking OK on the error dialog, the program proceeds to run correctly. Any ideas what is going on?

If it helps, I'm going to do another build tomorrow, so I'll see if it is just a fluke. If anyone has any suggestions for where to look or debugging to do during the build, let me know now. This is my first big project and builds are taking over an hour which is driving me crazy! I know most of you probably work on projects that require overnight builds and such, but for me long build time = frustrating. I shouldn't complain though because I'm sure the time is proportional to how bad (ie: spaghetti coded) my project is. Sorry for slipping off topic here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even if you can give me a starting point to look at, it would be very helpful.

QUOTE(ars_stowers @ May 29 2007, 05:59 PM)

3) Copy Executable to local drive, run, and get following message: "LabVIEW: An input parameter is invalid. The file " is not a valid LabVIEW file."

This is my first big project and builds are taking over an hour which is driving me crazy! I know most of you probably work on projects that require overnight builds and such, but for me long build time = frustrating. I shouldn't complain though because I'm sure the time is proportional to how bad (ie: spaghetti coded) my project is. Sorry for slipping off topic here.

Are you, by chance missing a file that your LabView EXE needs to run? Builder puts files that are needed for execution (such as DLLs and / or CINs) into a RSRC folder with the exe.

I've got big projects (300 - 500 vis) that I compile with Builder and havn't ever had a build time that long. Which leads me to my next suggestion. Have you tried performing your build after a clean restart of LabView? I'm currently experiencing an issue with Builder where I seem to have found a memory leak, but it has to do with building LLB files with VIs from vi.lib and user.lib. I haven't gotten to the bottom of it, but it doesn't seem to affect building an exe, from what I can tell.

Are you experiencing a long save time? Building an exe in LabView requires re-saving your code to a new place, so if saving your code takes a long time this would contribute to your build slowdown. Have you tried building your exe on your local hard drive? It might let you know what is missing from your network build copied to a local drive...

QUOTE(chrisdavis @ May 29 2007, 09:01 PM)

Are you, by chance missing a file that your LabView EXE needs to run? Builder puts files that are needed for execution (such as DLLs and / or CINs) into a RSRC folder with the exe.

I've got big projects (300 - 500 vis) that I compile with Builder and havn't ever had a build time that long. Which leads me to my next suggestion. Have you tried performing your build after a clean restart of LabView? I'm currently experiencing an issue with Builder where I seem to have found a memory leak, but it has to do with building LLB files with VIs from vi.lib and user.lib. I haven't gotten to the bottom of it, but it doesn't seem to affect building an exe, from what I can tell.

Are you experiencing a long save time? Building an exe in LabView requires re-saving your code to a new place, so if saving your code takes a long time this would contribute to your build slowdown. Have you tried building your exe on your local hard drive? It might let you know what is missing from your network build copied to a local drive...

I don't believe I'm missing any files. In this project, the only resource type files I need are some dynamic VIs and they are all included. I'll look over my code again to make sure I don't have any such calls.

As far as the build time goes, I figured it was due to my project size (about 375 VIs), but maybe it isn't. What kind of build times do you get for projects of this size? I'm not sure how long you mean by long save times, but every once in awhile, I'll change a type-def that changes about 60 VIs in the project. Saving all those probably takes 1-2min. Is this long?

I've tried building immeadiately after starting LabView, and it doesn't give me much of a speed increase.

I will try building from the local drive. That may give me some improvement as I could see how lots of reads and writes to our network drives could be slow. Hopefully, that will help me figure out if I'm missing any files.

Michael_Aivaliotis - I haven't had the "Remove type definitions and unused polymorphic VI instances" checked. Does it matter how I do the destination? Currently, I'm building to a single .exe file.

Thanks for the help from both of you!

EDIT: It looks like it was a network drive issure. Building locally instead of from the network dropped my build time from ~1hr15min to 6min. It also appears to have fixed the invalid input parameter issue. Thanks again.