''LabVIEW in Physics'' and ''LV on the Mac'' at NIWeek2007

Time again for an announcement to those who wirework on Apples,

For those of you who would like to see something a bit different from the regular NI technology sessions I would like to announce a small off-the-tracks presentation:

How to LabVIEW in Physics Education

I will stage a short somewhat playful presentation which illustrates the ways we incorporated LabVIEW Virtual Instrumentation to perform real world demonstration experiments of physical phenomena. Strong arguments to promote graphical programming to interface with the real world will be given along with a few selected examples of didactical demonstration experiments in physics which should be instructive and fun too.

The presentation will start at 15:30 in Meeting Room 3 on Wednesday, Aug. 8.

Please mark the time in your agenda. The room may be found on this map:

http://www.austinconventioncenter.com/Plan...CMultiLevel.pdf

On the map, look at Level 1 North/South (at the bottom) and Meeting Room 3 is in yellow. There will be signs to help direct people to the room.

Right after this at 16:00 at the same location I would like to unite those wireworkers who prefer to work with LabVIEW on the Mac or Linux platforms with NI developers who produce hard- and software for those OSes.

The intention is to spend about 30 minutes on brainstorm platform independent aspects and concerns along the following lines:

1) What type of applications are we involved in?

2) Why is MacOSX a viable foundation for LabVIEW type interfacing with the real world specifically in science and research?

3) What types of hardware do we mostly use?

4) What kind of support do we demand from NI ? Is it Mac/linux specific? What are the roadblocks to NI in providing this?

5) What problems do we possibly have which are platform specific ?

6) What are priorities?

a) Hardware support including drivers, NIDAQmx, GPIB, Fieldpoint

b) Software support TEDS, TDMS, Hosting shared variables

c) Toolkits, IMAQ, Signal Analysis, PID

d) Realtime development

The ''LV on the Mac'' part should take about another 30 minutes until 16:30. However, we will have the room until 17:00 for personal informal talks thereafter.

I really hope to see as many of you fellow wireworkers as possible there (Specially for the second part at 16:00 !).

Please help to spread the message.

Regards and happy wireworks

Urs

Urs Lauterburg

Physics demonstrator

Physikalisches Institut

University of Bern

Switzerland