Optimizing Memory - Making an executable

Have an application that takes data off various instruments - most of them over a GPIB. Have had the program hang up a few times over the last several days, and have a feeling it's a memory issue. I haven't been able to figure a way to limit the amount of RAM my LabVIEW application uses - is there a way. Also, how would I go about troubleshooting where things are crashing. What I've experience before the crashes is one of the instruments on the bus getting an error - sometimes by the instrument displaying "Error" on the front panel. Other times instruments have received commands that cause it to change states - like I had a DVM that was set up to read currents, all of a sudden displaying resistance in Ohms - and no where in the program do I read ohms off of any instrument.

Also, I haven't tried this - but would creating an executable be more memory efficient than just running my project? I think where I work we have limited versions that we can create executables, and I have personally never done this. Most of our LabVIEW users are EE's using LabView for small programs where they just want to set up 3-6 instruments and get some data. This project is a little more complex than what I've attempted in the past, and would appreciate some feedback.

On the topic of making an executable, what version of LabVIEW do you need? I don't think the version I'm running has the ability to make executables.

Thanks

Dave

Making a LabVIEW program into an executable can save some memory. Diagrams and debugging are removed in executables making them slightly more efficient. To create an executable with LabVIEW, you need the application builder which is an add on for FDS and Base. It is included in PDS and the DevSuites. I would not expect significant performance increase with an executable.

Why do you assume that your problem is memory? Have you run the LabVIEW memory profiler? What kind of architecture are you using? Are you touching your hardware in more than one place?

Some of us EEs right higher level software.