Labview hardware interface

newprogrammer1

QUOTE(newprogrammer1 @ Feb 14 2008, 04:34 PM)

Can anyone please explainto me how I would interface labview with an hardware say a motor, also how to write commands to control parameters such as motor speed and rotation angle.

Thanks

Each "hardware" will require something different to command it. There are different methods to cable between the PC and the hardware: Serial communication, USB, GPIB, VXI, ethernet, wireless, etc. You may have no choice or you may select among several choices. There will be some sort of language or protocol for successful communication. You must know this to proceed.

There is a great amount of variety in the sophistication and quality of the driver software that comes with a "hardware."

Although is is very possible and also common to use LabVIEW for this purpose, it is not practical to answer your question without more details. At least tell what motor and motor drive is to be used, the cabling system, and the language or protocol. If you can obtain LabVIEW driver software from the motor drive manufacturer this may simplify the task. If no driver software is available you will have to write and communicate your own commands starting from scratch. This can be a very big job.

I command several motor drives for which there were no LabVIEW drivers available. I used serial communications to send simple commands and did not try to create an entire command set, only the half dozen commands that I need. The protocols include, Modbus and a couple of non-standard protocols. In each case the commands themselves are radically different even if the method, the protocol, used is the same. For instance motor drives from two different manufacturers could both use Modbus, but there commands sets have no common words.

Good luck,

Mike