Problem communicate through RS232

Hi,

I am a new user of LabView, and am trying to communicate with a motor driver using VISA through RS232. I have tried using HyperTerminal to test the driver, and it works well. But when I tried to use the example vi (Advanced Serial Write and Read.vi) provided in Labview (mine is pretty old...LabView 6.1), it seems like the driver didn't received the command that I typed in. I would like to ask about what the format of the input command should be if the required command is ASCII code. Because I onlly typed in things like "BD1", "H+", etc. Should I convert them to HEX or DEC format? Sorry for this very basic question...but I am really confused right now... :( Thanks a lot!

The driver I wanna communicate with is the stepper motor driver manufactured by Pontech. And its manual is as the the attached file. Thanks!! :worship:

QUOTE (fuzzyspot @ May 4 2008, 11:59 PM)

......I onlly typed in things like "BD1", "H+", etc. Should I convert them to HEX or DEC format? .....

1. You need to leave the String input "Normal", not HEX and definitely not DEC. Those are plain ASCII characters you're sending.
  2. You need to send a CR with the string to satisify the <enter> that you'd normally do in HyperTerm. Concatenate a CR or a CR/LF combo with your string when you send it. See attached JPG.

Richard

QUOTE (BrokenArrow @ May 5 2008, 10:32 AM)

1. You need to leave the String input "Normal", not HEX and definitely not DEC. Those are plain ASCII characters you're sending.
  2. You need to send a CR with the string to satisify the <enter> that you'd normally do in HyperTerm. Concatenate a CR or a CR/LF combo with your string when you send it. See attached JPG.

Richard

Thanks sooooooo much!!

Really appreciate it! :laugh: