Counter with external trigger help

Hello,

Im using Labview 8.2.1 with Ni DAQ6015(for usb), and I have a rain sensor that I've to use. The device is only a switch that "switch" every time that 'x' mm^3 of water is incremented.

I wanted to use a hardware counter that increments every time that occurs a change in the sensor, and after every time I want, i could verify the value of the counter in my Labview code.

Another way to view the problem is to use an external "trigger" that works like an interrupt in a micro-controller, every time the "trigger" is activated it force to execute a function and after continues the rest of the program. Is this possible to do?

Sorry about the length of the message and my bad English :)

Regards,

Sylvain.

QUOTE (Xrockyman @ Jun 9 2008, 03:30 PM)

Im using Labview 8.2.1 with Ni DAQ6015(for usb), and I have a rain sensor that I've to use. The device is only a switch that "switch" every time that 'x' mm^3 of water is incremented.

I wanted to use a hardware counter that increments every time that occurs a change in the sensor, and after every time I want, i could verify the value of the counter in my Labview code.

Another way to view the problem is to use an external "trigger" that works like an interrupt in a micro-controller, every time the "trigger" is activated it force to execute a function and after continues the rest of the program. Is this possible to do?

Sure, the NI DAQ products work great as hardware counters. LabVIEW doesn't really have a true interrupt handling system which can be connected to a DAQ event, you will probably need to poll the counter. There are lots of examples for reading from the counters in the LabVIEW Examples.

If you have tried writing some code, and it's just not working, then try to post some code and you might get some more specific help to point you in the right direction.

Salut,

Jason