using Gridconnect USBtoCAN adapter

longzoo

Hello all,

I am trying to get a vi together to write periodic messages to and read from a CAN bus via a Gridconnect USBtoCAN adapter. I installed NI-CAN but cannot get MAX to report any CAN channels. When i try to create a channel i am faced with parameters that I don't know...what i need to do is send a 0x01 or a 0x02 to ID 187. then every 300ms or so send 0x00 to ID 2CE. I will be reading from several IDs but I think once I can get the initial writes out there I can figure that portion out...I have been using "PcanViewUsb.exe" provided by Gridconnect to do the messaging but would like to make a vi to interpret the bytes to meaningful data... I am attaching a jpg of the data i am currently reading and writing.

Any nudges (or shoves) in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Dave

oh yeah, and every time I try to make a channel and open a test panel I get the error "The TestPanel cannot run since no CAN ports are available. Be sure to have at least one NI CAN card inserted into your computer"

I haven't used that brand of USB-CAN adapters, but it's likely that NI-CAN only supports NI cards (and perhaps a few others). For other brands such as yours you'll need to use whatever the manufacturer provides, such as a DLL or an ActiveX or .NET component. I've used Kvaser CAN equipment, and it too is not recognized by NI-CAN, but I've had no problems using it in LabVIEW by calling the DLLs that Kvaser supplies.