LabVIEW 8.5 and Excel compatability question (Arrays)

Hello everyone.

I am currently a senior engineering student and quite new to the program. I have created an excel file (4x90) with column headings of Mach, "a", velocity, and RPM. I would like to have a user specify a certain Mach number, and then have LabVIEW interpolate out a value for "a" and RPM for this Mach number. I assume this function is done with the array commands in Labview, but not sure exactly where to start.

Thanks for the help

QUOTE (baseballjunkie @ Nov 4 2008, 07:13 PM)

Hello everyone.

I am currently a senior engineering student and quite new to the program. I have created an excel file (90x4) with column headings of Mach, "a", velocity, and RPM. I would like to have a user specify a certain Mach number, and then have LabVIEW interpolate out a value for "a" and RPM for this Mach number. I assume this function is done with the array commands in Labview, but not sure exactly where to start.

Thanks for the help

You'll probably find that it's a lot easier to work with text files than with Excel spreadsheets; fortunately you can save your Excel file to text. It's then easy to read that file into LabVIEW (look at the file operations palette for "Read From Spreadsheet File"). As for interpolation, there are two functions in the array palette that will help you here: Interpolate 1D Array and Threshold 1D Array. Start writing some code, and if you need more help, post the code that you've already written first.