using FTDI2232 converter in LabVIEW

kazek

Hi,

Im trying to use FTDI2232 as a USB<->SPI converter. There is only USB<->RS232 example on the FTDI website.

I saw this example and I understand, how to use LabVIEW to use FTDI2232 to USB/RS232 conversion. For me the problem is how to make USB<->SPI conversion. Because SPI is a synchronous transmission, it involves MPSSE processor – for me it is the point, where problem starts. For synchronous interfaces, like SPI, additional commands are required. I have downloaded AN2232C-01_MPSSE_Cmnd.pdf document, but I could not cope with this yet. So I would like to ask you for a LabVIEW example, but for SPI. I have to mention, that I saw also examples for USB<->SPI conversion in C++, but I would like to treat them as my sheet anchor. Does anyone possess simple write/read example (loopback) ?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you

kazek

Hi,

The FTDI devices and drivers are very good. I've never had them crash and they always do what you want. Actually very few driver releases have been around at all, which is a good sign.

I have programmed SPI (amongst other protocols) but I choose not to use MPSSE. It is not necesary, you can only use it to compact your data a bit. Much easier is to use bit bang mode. Create a pattern with your input data, write that, then read the same amount of data back, and decode the output data.

Joris

robijn, thanks for your advice, but it seems, that I have no choice. I have to use SPI, because I use evaluation board. You have written, that you have programmed SPI. Did you do this in LabVIEW ? Could you give me an example ? I will be very thankful.

Regards,

kazek

• 1 year later...

robijn, thanks for your advice, but it seems, that I have no choice. I have to use SPI, because I use evaluation board. You have written, that you have programmed SPI. Did you do this in LabVIEW ? Could you give me an example ? I will be very thankful.

Regards,

kazek

I have the same problem that the guy above!

Does anyone had some sort of experience of SPI tranmission using Labview On FTDI chips?

Edited by leonardovieira
  • Like 1