Where do you put the templates in your distributions?

There's been some discussion over here about finding an appropriate place to distribute templates. Here's a summary:

Christian: it makes sense to put them alongside the existing templates.

jgcode: I would suggest storing them all relative, then placing it under user.lib/vi.lib (with a new namespace as per LAVA thread) with access via palettes for the API and Tools menu (or a wizard) to create templates.

crelf: When my packages include templates, I tend to have them with all the other package VIs, include them in the palette – but I make them merge VIs. This is much easier and more intuitive (IMHO) than putting them in the templates folder (which, again IMHO, no one uses anyway).

Christian: The challenge in this case is that the VI temrplate is not just code, but also UI components/colors and VI properties. Using the Merge VI option does not include these features when placing the code on a blank VI. Given the nature of this reference design I think this is too much of a limitation.

crelf: True – actually, merge VIs and front panel stuff don’t work well – I’m sure there’s a bug there (eg: make a VI with a few controls and decorations, then merge it = the controls vs decorations are offset). CAR #39212

jgcode: (the "New..." dialog) is pretty slow, but I thats the most logic spot for all my Templates that fall into the above category - and I use it all the time. If the dialog was cache'd between calls (with a Refresh Button and an IN for programmatic access) that would be better IMHO (another Idea). Additionally another Idea is to allow Templates in the Tools Menu - at the moment Templates are ignored. A fast way to access Templates would be just to select them from the Tools menu and a new instance would be created?

crelf: Sure, but if all the interfaces to a reuse package are in the pallete, then that's where I'm going to look for them. Having one component in the "New..." dialog and everything else in the palette isn't intuative IMO.

jgcode: What is your current workflow for templates at the moment? (As mentioned above I currently install into the <LabVIEW>\Templates folder). What do others do?

So, jgcode asked the question: what do others do?

jgcode: Additionally another Idea is to allow Templates in the Tools Menu - at the moment Templates are ignored. A fast way to access Templates would be just to select them from the Tools menu and a new instance would be created?

I wouldn't call that a big, but I'd sure like the ability to have templates in the Tools menu. Maybe make the suggestion on the LabVIEW Idea Excahnge?

• Like 1

I've just added a similar comment to the idea, but I think my prefered variant would be the inclusion of VIT/CTT files on the palettes.

That way when your with the rest of the VIs/Ctrls for your module/plugin/thing you could just click on the template icon and instead of dropping the VI or merged VI on the diagram, a new VI from the template would be created and placed.

That way people who already know how to find the rest of your API will also by default know where to find your templates.

I've just added a similar comment to the idea, but I think my prefered variant would be the inclusion of VIT/CTT files on the palettes.

That way when your with the rest of the VIs/Ctrls for your module/plugin/thing you could just click on the template icon and instead of dropping the VI or merged VI on the diagram, a new VI from the template would be created and placed.

That way people who already know how to find the rest of your API will also by default know where to find your templates.

This was all mentioned over on the darkside and is now on the Idea Exchange:

Allow VITs and CTTs to Behave Correctly As Merge VIs