Stepper motor position control design

Albertcow

Hi to all, this is my first post, i didn't like to ask for solutions like "give me the code" my question is more like an advice, i'm implementing a state space inverted pendulum control, its my first time with control theory (very hard) so i found a lot of implemented projects but most of them are implemented using matlab, so i found one for the rotary inverted pendulum in :

www.eng.mu.edu/~craigk/tutorials/LabVIEW%20Control%20Implementation%20Tutorial.pdf

17208351.th.jpg

with the Control design and simulation module, its basically the same as the tutorial but im using the parallel port (outport) to control a stepper motor (7.5 rot. angle, bipolar, using MTD2007F controller) i found the step sequence using a modified microstepping (8 step sequence) now i can move the stepper n steps in a for loop, using a constant time delay in each iteration, but given the labview data flow oriented nature, im a little confused about the position adjustment of the stepper, i now i have a displacement of 1240 steps in 26.5cm, the output of my control block its given in decimals, in the original implementations that was a Voltage adjustment for a continuos DC motor with a -5V +5V saturation block, but im using a discrete stepper motor, can i set the saturation to a position range (in cd) -13 - 13 ?

well, suposing that that can be, what you recommend me to control the position, if i use a for loop it will not exit until completed the input steps and in the control program the position is always changing?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Hi

I think this might be too late but my opinion is to use a while loop and a counter. Depending on your phisical load you might consider a ramp up but I'm not sure hoe to implement it on your driver. I will use very soon a samotronic 101 that alows me to input the step frequency. Hence i can set the speed and a rate.

I'll come back with an example as soon as I do it.