Remote panel not working in Subpanel

jbjorlie

I am using LabView 8.6 to create an executable which runs on a target instrument with a touch panel. Additionally, I need another executable to run on a remote PC which can control multiple target instruments. My idea was to use a program on the remote PC with a separate tab for each available instrument. On each tab would be a subpanel which ran a VI web browser. The web browser vi would simply display the target instrument's executable and the operator could request control and setup/run/view tests. When I create web browser vi and try to conect I just get a configured .html page for the instrument but no front panel image. The front panel window just says "Setting Up Plug-in Window" and will not load the panel. Using an external IE or Firefox app the page loads fine but does not load the application instance running on the instrument. I need re-entrancy as I am also running many "Single Instrument" vi instances on the remote PC to directly (via USB/Serial) operate additonal instruments. All instruments run from the same "Single Instrument.VI" program with different parameters. The remote PC simply calls the WebBrowser.vi or SingleInstrument.vi into the proper tab depending on the location of the target instrument.

I hope that was not too long for anyone to read but I want you to know what I am attempting. Also, if you have an alternate implementation which would avoid complication I am all ears and very willing to learn. Thanks much!

Can you upload some code?

I would try it first with remote panels instead of using a web browser. Its more robust. You can build a VI that calls up the front panels of remote running VI's. This will need the LV-RT engine installed on the "Host" PC.

You could build a TCP/shared variable communication protocol that runs the appropriate VI remotely (based on selected instrument) and then opens its front panel. I saw an example of this probably on the NI website or in the LV examples.

Re-entrant VI's or subpanel VI's might not update their panels correctly (search the help) especially in a web browser. I am not sure where the re entrant VI's are running..?

N.

Thank you Neville,

I will upload some code but it would not likely help much unless I uploaded the entire project! The vi I am having trouble with is simply a tab control with a subpanel on each tab. For remote instruments the subpanel is loaded with a "web browser" vi. When I run this web browser vi alone it works fine, just not when loaded into the subpanel!?!?!?

Also, once I run it once, it never seems to work again unless I restart LabView. I am guessing this is because it was never properly closed but I don't know how to shut off a web browser activex panel and/or destroy the reference?

I would LOVE TO USE REMOTE PANELS for this application but I know of no way to insert a remote panel into a subpanel or a tab control. Can this be done?

Thanks for your help!

I forgot to mention my reasoning: I do not want the remote vi to pop up in an unconstrained separate window. The touchpanel on the instrument is set to 800x600 res and when I connect to it via remote panels on my high res desktop the window is HUGE! I cannot have a title bar on the touch panel either.

Before posting this I searched for the best solution to constrain remote panels inside a "main" vi window and the web browser subpanel was the only solution I found.

OK, your requirements are fairly complex and will not be solved by simple remote panels or web browser interfaces considering re-entrancy/panel size/display requirements.

Design a protocol to talk to each instrument. Display commands sent and responses recieved in separate tabs on your HOST or control PC. That way you have complete freedom to setup and run the instrument without the complexities of panel size etc.

You can use shared variables to simplify the communication protocol.

Check out:

Command based architecture (you can replace TCP-IP with Shared Variables to simplify; there are examples on the NI site using SV's instead of TCP-IP)

Advanced LV-RT resources (you can read up stuff here and apply to your LV-based targets as well).

Neville.

QUOTE (Neville D @ Jun 1 2009, 01:04 PM)

I suspected I may not get off that easily. I suppose this gives me an opportunity to become a better LV programmer and learn some techniques. Thanks for the links and the posts! You will likely hear from me again!