Getting Current Namespace

A running VI has a unique namespace, the Project Name and the context. In VI's title bar (in edit mode) and at the bottom left, the namespace is shown: for example,

"My VI.vi Front Panel on MyProject.lvproj/My Computer". I can't seem to find the VI Server property to dig this information out at runtime. I can get the context (with a private VIServer method), but not the project.

Ok, I found some code that works, but I feel like I'm missing something more obvious. Is there an easier way?

post-1764-1244144142.png?width=400

QUOTE (jdunham @ Jun 4 2009, 12:36 PM)

I can't seem to find the VI Server property to dig this information out at runtime.

I think your first problem is the statement above. In the RTE, there is no concept of a 'project' that a namespace is running in. That is strictly for the IDE. Once you build an EXE, the only unique namespace is the name of the application, which is easy to get from a VI Server property.

I find that if I want to have multiple instances running at the same time and communicating vi VI Server under the RTE, I need to set up each one with it's own unique port number. And, 'localhost' does not always work either when trying to get a referecne to an app instance from another app. You need to use the actual IP of the machine for this to work reliably.

Yes, it is all very confusing. Espcially when you start using Web Services that run in yet another special app instance, separate from your EXE.

Good Luck!