Cannot instantiate template VI when in memory

Just want to let everyone know of a change in the way template VI's are instantiated. I got this error when I ran code that used to work fine in LV61:

Error 1127 occurred at Open VI Reference in Launch View Data Screen.viPossible reason(s):LabVIEW:  Cannot instantiate template VI because it is already in memory.

In LV61 there was no error and instead of instantating the new vi from the template it would just call the template VI and run it. This is not an issue in a built application but is tedious during development since you cannot test with the actual template in your hierarchy.

Yet another minor change to live with I guess.

blog-121-1127290054.png?width=400

blog-121-1127290118.png?width=400

blog-121-1127290149.png?width=400

Well, I got it working. Apparently NI changed the default action for the options input on the "open VI reference" function.

Previously you could leave the Options input unwired and LV would instantiate a VI from a template if the template was NOT already In memory. If it was in memory then it would just open a reference to the actual template.

In LV7 you have to specify the options bit set in one mode or another. Otherwise it will error out if you try to open a reference to a template vi and it is always in memory. You have to specify:

0x02 | Open templates for editing.  

Another little thing to watch for when migrating to LV7. :wink: